Scott

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: U.S. Presidents and Christianity #18215

    Scott
    Member

    Thomas Jefferson, on April 21, 1803, wrote to Dr. Benjamin Rush: ‘My views … are the result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and very different from the anti-Christian system imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruption of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines in preference to all others…’ Theodore Roosevelt said: ‘… I believe that the next half century will determine if we will advance the cause of Christian civilization or revert to the horrors of brutal paganism. The thought of modern industry in the hands of Christian charity is a dream worth dreaming. The thought of industry in the hands of paganism is a nightmare beyond imagining.’ ‘Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure ourselves what that life would be if these standards were removed. We would lose almost all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals.’ I think it is obvious from these quotes that these men had faith in God and the Bible. While some of the quotes don’t mention Christ by name, I think it would be a greater ‘leap’ to believe these men did not have faith in Christ. All the quotes above I have references for if anyone is interested

    User Detail :  

    Name : Scott, Gender : M, Age : 39, City : Boca Raton, State : FL, Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)