Patrick S.

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Advice about possible gay stepson #18616

    Patrick S.
    Member

    I was only 17 when I finally realized the fact that I liked men was going to always be a part of my life. But it wasn’t until I was 20 that I realized I was gay and not bisexual or straight going through a phase of life. Of course, I possibly would have dated a guy sooner and found myself sooner had my family been supportive. So, give him time to figure it out himself. He’s trying to found himself in the sexual spectrum of life.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Prior Sexual Abuse in Homosexuality #17889

    Patrick S.
    Member

    A friend who works in the courts building dealing with cases of pedophiles says the majority of sexual offenders of children are heterosexuals. He said the men pick out the child not because of the child’s gender, but because they’re defenseless and a child. So pedophilia is all about the victim being a child, not about the assailant’s sexual orientation.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Family Trouble #40989

    Patrick S.
    Member

    In regard to your family, make sure you have a place you can live if coming out to your family doesn’t go well. I knew my parents could possibly throw me out when I came out to them, so I waited until I was able to support myself. When I told them, they threw me out. Luckily, I foresaw this, planned and could “quickly” move out. After a year, my mother and most of my brothers have accepted me. My father is still another matter. I think he’ll eventually come around. So prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. Once you’re able to support yourself, definitely come out to your family, but make sure you have supportive friends first during the tough times ahead. You’ll find that once you’ve dealt with coming out to your parents, life will definitely become easier to deal with, and you’ll be able to be more accepting of yourself. There will be a few months (or a year) of family heart-ache ahead, but after that, it’ll be worth it. As far as your brother’s high school, it’s up to him to spread your personal life through high school. You’re not there any more to do that.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: X Chromosome and Male Sexual Orientation #28441

    Patrick S.
    Member

    Even though it was tough for me to come out of the closet, and I had thoughts of “if I could only change” before I came out to everyone, I still like the fact that I’m me. One of my greatest fears as a child was that I would be just like all the other people around me. I enjoy the fact that I’m different and that I have the unique gift to girl-talk with total strangers, the gift to be comfortable with my emotional side, and gift to feel other people’s emotions (kind of like Diana Troy on Star Trek). You state that “someday there will be a cure for homosexuals.” I do not believe homosexuality is a disease. I believe God made homosexuals for a reason. Straight men seem to be good at building buildings. Gay men, like Michelangelo and de Vinci, were good at designing and decorating buildings. Homosexuals seem to have gifts to offer the world. Changing that would be changing God’s will.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: In search of a religious affiliation #16333

    Patrick S.
    Member

    According to Normand, “Leaving the Church may, for you, be the only viable solution.” I would like you to make sure that you try the avenue of DIGNITY, the Catholic gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered support group. I’ve been very happy since coming to this group; and I didn’t have to give up my faith. Oh, the previous remarks comparing homosexuality to alcoholism, wife abuse and embezzlement, and implyng that “… it is we ourselves who have the power to choose …” is no longer believed by the Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic Bishops are in agreement that sexual orientation is inherent, thus not comparable to those other traits that are chosen.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: In search of a religious affiliation #33994

    Patrick S.
    Member

    I was raised in a very strong Catholic faith, went to CCD and mass every week, and still am a lector, catechist and more within the Catholic Church. Religion is part of my life, and I’m gay. At first, I felt left out of my religion. So, for a few months, I went to Cathedral of Hope Metropolitan Community Church. It was very open to gays and accepting. But I still felt out of place since my roots were Catholic; and I’ll be Catholic till I die. I soon found DIGNITY, the gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered group of the Catholic Church. We have mass and are working with the bishop to intergrate gays into the full body of the church once again, like less than a millennium ago. On the Internet, search for “Catholic Dignity” and read. I’ve now found my place within the Catholic Church and am happy.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Why bring up sexual orientation? #19989

    Patrick S.
    Member

    The gay movement didn’t become so powerful and influential by itself. Gay people have become open and honest about who they are and have educated more people around them. It’s hard to make a powerful statement by yourself. But, we’re not by ourselves anymore. We’re becoming more accepted because we’re coming out and saying who we are. People who didn’t know gays before are finding out that they’ve always known us. We’re their family members and friends; and they’re finding out that it’s no longer a secrete topic. It’s as normal as man and woman.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    in reply to: Gays and promiscuity #36692

    Patrick S.
    Member

    My parents were afraid I would be promiscuous and catch AIDS when they found out I was gay. But, as they found out, I don’t sleep around; and I’m very happy with my partner. They got their views from the news networks here, which go to the most open/concentrated gay areas to get their shocking news bites. The most openly gay and news-taped areas do seem to be more promiscuous. But there are actually more gay people in the non-openly-gay/non-news-taped neighborhoods than just in the gay-ghettos; and they aren’t the ‘6 O’clock news-bite stories’ type. They’ve got houses, play the organ at the Catholic church, work together around the house, volunteer at school and mow the yard with their partner. My mother now knows this. The news just didn’t cover the other homosexuals.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Patrick S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)