Maighen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Whites ‘trotting’ across the crosswalk #33560

    Maighen
    Member

    I don’t know if what I do counts as trotting or not … more like skipping and sometimes flat-out running. But my method behind the madness is because people around here (and especially where I used to live, Las Vegas) have a tendency to ‘jump’ the lights, meaning that they’ll inch forward on red lights, as though moving forward will make the light turn green faster. Unsuspecting pedestrians have been ‘bumped’ by cars doing just that, as evidenced by the numerous ‘auto vs. ped’ cases seen in emergency rooms across the country, including the one I work in. (We actually had a guy in a wheelchair crossing the road get hit by a car at an intersection recently. Ironically, the guy was in the wheelchair from a previous auto vs. ped accident. He was OK, but we suggested he take the bus from now on!)

    I have been guilty of light jumping and nearly took out an unsuspecting jogger at 5:30 a.m. simply because I was looking one way and inching forward without fully clearing the road in front of me. What he was doing jogging on a busy service road of a major highway at the pre-dawn dark hour when everyone is making a mad dash to work is beyond me, but the point is that I wasn’t paying close enough attention and he had the right-of-way. I think it has more to do with a fear of getting run over by impatient drivers than a specific cultural, ethnic or even age-related classification. I’ve seen lots of different people ‘trot’ across the roadway in many different settings, but everyone’s experiences vary. It’s not so much a courtesy as it is a survival mechanism.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Maighen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Paramedic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)