Whites ‘trotting’ across the crosswalk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

C19319
    Participant
    I have noticed that often when I stop my car for white people crossing the street, many of them break into a silly little 'trot' that only lasts a few seconds, though walking would get them to the other side of the street in the same amount of time. I have seen this primarily in whites over about 25 years of age, and I can't recall any non-whites ever doing it. What gives? Do they think that breaking into a trot is them trying to show 'courtesy' to me, the driver?

User Detail :  

Name : C19319, City : Central, State : CA Country : United States, 

Maighen
    Participant
    I don't know if what I do counts as trotting or not ... more like skipping and sometimes flat-out running. But my method behind the madness is because people around here (and especially where I used to live, Las Vegas) have a tendency to 'jump' the lights, meaning that they'll inch forward on red lights, as though moving forward will make the light turn green faster. Unsuspecting pedestrians have been 'bumped' by cars doing just that, as evidenced by the numerous 'auto vs. ped' cases seen in emergency rooms across the country, including the one I work in. (We actually had a guy in a wheelchair crossing the road get hit by a car at an intersection recently. Ironically, the guy was in the wheelchair from a previous auto vs. ped accident. He was OK, but we suggested he take the bus from now on!)

I have been guilty of light jumping and nearly took out an unsuspecting jogger at 5:30 a.m. simply because I was looking one way and inching forward without fully clearing the road in front of me. What he was doing jogging on a busy service road of a major highway at the pre-dawn dark hour when everyone is making a mad dash to work is beyond me, but the point is that I wasn't paying close enough attention and he had the right-of-way. I think it has more to do with a fear of getting run over by impatient drivers than a specific cultural, ethnic or even age-related classification. I've seen lots of different people 'trot' across the roadway in many different settings, but everyone's experiences vary. It's not so much a courtesy as it is a survival mechanism.

User Detail :  

Name : Maighen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Paramedic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brittany23066
    Participant
    It is to show courtesy. Yes, they do think they will get to the other side faster. Maybe because you see it in older people, that is as fast as they go. They are just trying to be nice and show thanks.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany23066, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Fairfax, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron-S29633
    Participant
    Hey C., I recognize you. You're the same guy who has that road rage problem with older white guys. You know what I think? I think you don't like white people. I also think that any white person who doesn't get out of your way as soon as they can is making a fatal mistake.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron-S29633, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 60, City : Stockton, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Craig31890
    Participant
    Yes, that's exactly what we're doing. Speaking as a white man well over 25, I'm trying to get out of your way so we can both go ahead with our business. There's no reason for you to be delayed by me strolling across the street; and if you timed me walking or trotting, it is NOT the same amount of time. So, you're welcome, even if you don't appreciate it.

User Detail :  

Name : Craig31890, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 42, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

S. Swanson
    This makes me chuckle because I'm sure I do it. I think it's probably because I was raised to not inconvenience anyone. I don't know whether that's the result of being the child of immigrants. (I was also raised with the ethic that you don't brag, don't borrow money, pride comes before a fall, etc.) I guess that by scurrying across the street as quickly as possible, I'm trying to show the driver that I appreciate their courtesy and will try hard to not hold them up any longer than is necessary.

User Detail :  

Name : S. Swanson, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, 

Kristy
    That is the funniest question! I'm white and have never thought about our trotting habits. I have no explanation for it - none. We're just goofy, I guess. I'm going to start watching for the White Globe Trotters, and I'll laugh my butt off when I see them from now on. Thanks for the giggle!

User Detail :  

Name : Kristy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Ayanna
    Participant
    Actually, I 'trot' - and yes, it is out of courtesy. I never really thought about how long it would take me to reach the other side if I continued walking. It's just something that people do to alert the driver that we're trying to hurry to get out of the way. Boy, this was an interesting question.

User Detail :  

Name : Ayanna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Implementation Support Spec., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    Ron! You took the words right out of my mouth. With some people you just can't win. I wonder how many of HIS idiosyncracies piss other people off and whether or not he'd want them pointed out to him?!

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

ACC25056
    Participant
    Notice that C also wrote a question that had stereotypes about Mexicans. I honestly don't know if he's a Mexican harboring stereotypes about both Anglos and Mexicans, or a white racist pretending to be a Mexican and looking to stir up trouble.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25056, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    this brings up something that I've noticed. Younger blacks (and whites and hispanics) make it a point to spend the most time they possibly can crossing the street. I'm sure it's all designed to piss me off and inconvenience me but it seems like such a weak gesture of rebellion that it's almost funny. Is their identity so dependant on being 'against' whitey's rules and whitey's world that it dictates the most mundane of their daily activites, such as crossing the street?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : denton, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Linda
    Participant
    I've seen people shuffle through the crosswalk as if to say the world can wait. I'd prefer a trotter to that.

User Detail :  

Name : Linda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : mom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Traci31266
    Participant
    This is halarious!! I'm a trotter too!! I didn't realize that everyone did not do this. I do it because I don't want others to have to wait on me. When I'm at a light.. I get furious when someone just takes their time to cross. I've got places to go. I guess I just do what I would expext others to do. That's all. Great question!!

User Detail :  

Name : Traci31266, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Lake Charles, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : counselor/student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rene
    Participant
    Actually I am a black man and I trot. It was the way I was raised and it is in my nature not to inconvenience people. I myself hate when I see especially young black males who 'slow down' when they see you waiting to make a turn.

User Detail :  

Name : Rene, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, 

Race-B25015
    Participant
    I'm over 25, white, and yes, I trot. I think it is a simple courtesy gesture, along with an acknowledgement that you know there is a vehicle there waiting. Kind of a nod, without nodding.

User Detail :  

Name : Race-B25015, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Human Resources, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.