Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
KimMemberThis has been a very telling exchange. Seldom since I have been reading this forum have so many racist views come spewing onto the page. Like the rest of my family, I’ve always been an animal lover who supports anti-cruelty organisations, acted as a caretaker for abused or abandoned domestic animals, and worked hard to get people to avoid products from corporations that engage in the torture of animals. I’ve rescued numerous animals and hope to help as many more as I can. This even includes ‘unpopular’ pets like domestic rats. I am also a law-abiding brown-skinned woman who has been arrested and humilated by racist cops (while driving my own Jeep — lawfully) who felt I ‘must have stolen it because ‘we’ don’t drive that kind of car’. This was while I still lived in the US. Make no mistake: People do NOT have to be criminals to be mistreated or murdered by military or police officials. While this abuse is most often heaped on people of colour, it does happen to nearly ALL kinds of people, and any fair-minded person knows this. How dare anybody advocate cruelty to people OR animals, or justify one on the basis of the other? Both are shameful, and so are the people whose prejudices have been exposed here.
User Detail :
Name : Kim, Gender : F, Race : Native American/African American, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 45, City : London, State : NA, Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Researcher, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,
KimMemberLike so many things discussed at Y? Forum, the misuse you mention can be attributed to ignorance. And, as usual, that ignorance is tenacious and not easily corrected. I’m an American from Chicago, but I live in England, where they have a much better grasp of world geography. People who are Indian by birth or descent are indeed called Asians here. They comprise a large part of the British population, which may explain why it has been easier for them to avoid the problem you’re having. To my shame, I was too ignorant to understand why they are called Asian until my work colleagues here kindly explained it to me. Educating people in the United States isn’t really likely to correct their terminology, however. There is a tendency to disregard the wishes of the people affected, and they will likely to continue labeling people as they (selfishly) see fit. You may have to continue correcting misconceptions as you encounter them. (Or, if you find yourself contributing to more forums like this one, and perhaps some publications, you can enlighten them in larger numbers.) I know it isn’t your job to sensitize the U.S. population, but it seems we will wallow in stupidity until somebody teaches us otherwise.
User Detail :
Name : Kim, Gender : F, Race : Native American/African American, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 45, City : London, State : NA, Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Researcher, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences