Edward H.

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Larry Bird’s comments on whites in the NBA #27389

    Edward H.
    Member

    I played high school and college basketball. Back in the ’70s I could play playground ball with white guys or suburban black guys, and have a good time. There was passing of the ball instead of ‘to the hoop’ see who is going to outshine someone else. When I would get into an urban setting, Jeez Louise … it wasn’t basketball. It was a war zone.

    I love college basketball. I do not watch pro basketball, even though several people, some white, some black, I played with play in the pros or have played in the pros. Our recent Olympics debacle is reason enough for my reluctance as far as pro ball goes. It is just one big “who can dunk the best.”

    User Detail :  

    Name : Edward H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 43, City : Independence, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : communications..former cop, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    in reply to: Whites playing “Affirmative Action” card #28601

    Edward H.
    Member

    It might be because it is true. I tested for a large surburban Police Department. I scored a 98 percent on the test. I ended up 31st on a list of 50 eligible to be hired. The reason? As a white male I received no ‘bonus points’. If I had been a minority, I would have received 20 points. If I were a veteran, I would have received 15 points, and If I were a minority female I would have received 25 points. There was a maximum of 25 points allowed in all categories. There were people who were on the list with up to 114 percent. As a side note, all the people who scored 95 percent and above received no bonus points. We were not eligible. I was the first one offered a job. I turned it down. This department already had more than its share of minorities as far as demographics of the area were concerned. I went to another department with the same amount of minorities, but fair hiring practices. You figure out on which side of the stateline there are less troubles.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Edward H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 43, City : Independence, State : MO, Country : United States, Occupation : communications..former cop, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)