ACC24007

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Non-verbal gaffes #41743

    ACC24007
    Member

    Here’s an obvious one that I bet many will identify with: Ever since I was 10, I’ve noticed some whites looking over their shoulder anxiously as we walk past each other, like they were afraid I was going to attack them from behind. I’ve also always noticed that many whites stare at my hands when I first meet them, like they expect me to be holding a gun or knife. Many of these same people later turn out to not be racist as far as I could tell by their other behavior toward me, or at least not consciously. But it’s obvious many white Americans, even those who really try to not be racist, still have this sometimes unconscious fear of any dark-skinned male that shows itself in these ways. These things began happening to me when I was 10, stood about five feet tall and weighed less than 100 lbs. They’ve also happened to me no matter how I was dressed, including in military dress uniform or a suit and tie. So it’s not based on anything rational.

    User Detail :  

    Name : ACC24007, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, Age : 35, City : W Lafayette, State : IN, Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)