Why tattoo or pierce a perfectly good…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Natasha
    Participant
    I had my left eyebrow pierced because I always liked how it looked on others and I thought it would look nice on myself. Also, I think it kind of makes me stand out. Only two other people in my family has body piercings, and theirs are on their tongues so I'm the only one with a pierced face in my family, AND amongst my friends. I really like how it looks on me. I haven't had an employer give me a problem about it yet, and if my peircing did become an issue with an employer I'd just remove my barbell and just find some other way to keep the hole from closing while at work or at an interview.

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Samantha-Poteat
    Participant
    Tattooing and piercing is basically a trend. Most of my friends who are tattooed and pierced do it to be different and trendy. I have various piercings and i'm planning on getting a tattoo. We do it because it looks interesting, and we don't think about long term effects mostly because we don't care.

User Detail :  

Name : Samantha-Poteat, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Silver Spring, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : High School Senior, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Denise T
    Participant
    I think you may have answered your own question. What is Beauty? It may be clear that you define beauty 'according to society's standards.' However, what you consider as marring may be beautiful to others. So to answer your question, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And what you may consider beautiful, may not be beautiful to someone else.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise T, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Edwardsville, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andrea
    Participant
    I think that the reason that people decided to pierce or tattoo themselves is individuality. I'm a 17 year old girl and all i have pierced are my ears and i used to have my belly button done but took it out when it got VERY popular. I'm already thinking of piercing my lip or eyebrow when i'm 18 and maybe a small tattoo on my lower back. We're just searching for things to be individual and show what we're really like. No harm done.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea, Gender : F, Age : 17, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 
    iF THIS IS A WEBSITE ABOUT BEING HONEST WELL I HAVEN'T FOUND TOO AWFULLY MUCH YET. ALL INFORMED EDUCATED PEOPLE WHO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR HISTORY KNOWS THAT AS THE WISEST MAN IN THE WORLD STATED, THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN. FACIAL AND BODY PIERCINGS BEGAN IN EGYPT,AND AFRICA THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO. AND HOWEVER AND WHATEVER ONE WOULD LIKE TO SAY OR THINK, AFRICANS AND THEIR OFFSPRING HERE IN AMERICA, ARE STILL THE MOST COPIED AND ENVIED PEOPLE UPON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

User Detail :  

Name : KALA rOGERS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : dON'T BELEIVE IN RELIGIONS TOO MANY OF THEM, Age : 50, City : aTLANTA, State : AL Country : Saudi Arabia, Occupation : MAILMAN, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Danielle
    Participant
    Piercing is a matter of taste. I happen to like the them but not on all people. Piercings reflect a persons personality and views and also to make a statment. I like piercings and enjoy admiring peoples artwork. It is just a matter of personal choice and what i dont understand is why is it looked down apon?it is art and a way of personal expression.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Savannah28171
    Participant
    I can't speak for all people. But as for me i love piercings, I'm a 22 yo college student majoring in education. I have 3 piercings; a tongue ring, a naval piercing, and a hood piercing. I got my piercing simply beacuse i wanted to. I think they look sexy and promote originality and creativity. I'm young, educated, and free spirited...why not?

User Detail :  

Name : Savannah28171, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    So i've been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while now. I've settled on several designs and their location, and I'm in the process of convincing myself that they are something I want done. To help people understand the motivation for tattoos, here are some of my reasons: 1. Mark an event or accomplishment. If I end up getting my degree in Environmental science, for example, I would like to commemorate it. Even if I end up getting a job at JP Morgan/Chase later on (let's hope not) I think a tattoo of Dr. Seuss' 'The Lorax' would be a great reminder that, at some point in time, I cared enough to go through 4 years of school in this subject. 2. Commit myself to certain values/Show what holds meaning for me. I have a design that reprents pacifism, and I want to get it as proof of my convidence that I would never renounce this. Similarly, I think that where I grew up has a positive and profound influence on who I am. A tattoo representing it would always force me to remember this. 3. Aesthetic beauty. Pattya from CA makes a huge assumption in saying that any ink done will necessarily 'mar the natural beauty' of oneself. Aesthetic values are subjective, therefore if one gets a tattoo, they may not be trying to attract folks such as yourself, but still may be trying to impress others. The 'employment problem,' I think, is trivial. There are many ways to get around this through discreet locations, covering it with make up or clothes, or finding employers that see past it. finally, I find great personal satisfaction in recognizing that there are some things that I believe in so strongly, that I am so confident in them that they will bring me no shame, that I would permanently commmit them to my body.

User Detail :  

Name : L. Winston Bialey, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : West Tisbury, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

manaman
    Participant
    I have multiple facial piercings and tattoos (no facial ink) and I am fortunate enough to work for a company that regards my work performance as the chief indicator of my value as an employee. I can understand concerns in regards to employment when it comes to things like a sales position (some sales positions, not all), where a person must be willing to accommodate to all manor of archaic appearance expectations...but in reality there are very few worthwhile jobs that have reason to regard appearance above performance. In general, as far as appearance goes, if it doesn't make sense to you then it's probably not for you. I, as many other people in my group, consider my body to be a work in progress. I have chosen to shape my appearance according to my evolving self image. I got pierced because I look better with the hardware. I do not need to be pierced to feel or look good, but I look better that way...much like someone will look better when wearing jewelry and/or makeup that they feel comfortable with. Like combing your hair, you don't need to do it but you look and feel better when you do. There is another level to this, beyond the earring/jewelry thing; pain. A lot of people that get pierced know that there is a common shared experience. As far as the face thing goes, often the first and last place you look at a person is the face. It is the billboard with the greatest exposure. It is also what we as humans key off of most when we look in the mirror. Often the very people you don't want to have anything to do with anyway will stay away from you if you are outwardly decorated. Likewise, I can assume that nearly all of the 'freaks' that I see have similar or at least more compatible or open minded interests to mine. The nicest, friendliest, cleanest and generally the more intelligent people you will ever meet are tattooed, pierced, cut, branded and multi-colored. Why tattoo or pierce a perfectly good person? Please don't be so insulting as to imply that being a good person could possibly have anything to do with weather or not you agree with the way they look. 93 93/93

User Detail :  

Name : manaman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : software test engineer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    It's been said here elsewhere, don't worry about the normal people trying to look wierd, (stand out,) worry about the wierd people trying to look normal. There is a tatoo on my right wrist that is my daughter's astrology symbol, combined with mine and her mother's. On my arm is a pair of celtic dogs, that symbolize my heritage, and are said to be protective, to keep ill-willed spirits from entering. My nipple is pierced because it looks good pierced, and my tounge is pierced because.... well.... if you don't know what you're doing, a tounge ring won't help, but if you do your phone never stops ringing, if you catch my drift.... I've talked to several elderly individuals with tatoos, and even faded and wrinkled, the stories/symbolism behind them are incredible. Like an old church that has weathered several storms, or the ruins of an ancient city, old tatoos are faded symbols, with more history and meaning than ever. And kudo's to those who refuse to work for the judgemental. They don't deserve the intelligence and creativity that we can bring to their companies. To paraphrase: 'Perhaps someday a man will be judged by the content of his character, and not the color, or colors, of his skin.'

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Human, Religion : Omnitheist, Age : 24, City : Boynton Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Telecommuications, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

jen30970
    Participant
    I am 21 and I have 4 tattoos and 7 piercing, I also have a good job, my tattoos and piercing did not hinder me getting the job, I have gotten a tattoo every year since I turned 18. It is a way for people to express themselves, wether or not it makes you an individual Im not sure, but every tattoo is different and means different things to different people, so they are individual. I have a nose ring and a tounge ring, most people i talk to don't even realize i have my tounge pierced, and my nose ring does not take away from my beauty what so ever. I'm not saying getting every part of your face pierced or tattooed, but what does it matter if people do as long as they are happy.

User Detail :  

Name : jen30970, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : mississauga, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : receptionist, Education level : High School Diploma, 

n
    Participant
    Personally i feel that they are a represention or symbol of something. Like i just recently had this urge just ot get my cartilage pierced and i have always said i wouldnt get anything pierced not even my ears but i think it looks cool now. i for me i was tired of being the same person who never changed so i did. i got a piercing cut a foot of hair off and i am a whole new person with a new attitude. for me it was growing persoannly. now i wanna get my eyebrow but i doubt i will

User Detail :  

Name : n, Gender : F, Age : 16, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Rita
    Tattoos and piercings aren't the only 'permanent decisions' one can make. When someone chooses to get pregnant, you don't hear people saying 'but what if, 10 years from now, you don't like being a mother anymore?' or 'aren't you worried about being able to get a job if you have a kid?' I'd say regretting your spouse or children is a hell of a lot worse than regretting a tattoo, but that's not going to stop people from getting married or having kids.

User Detail :  

Name : Rita, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily
    Participant
    It's so common in my generation (tattoos and piercings) and the older generations just have a hard time understanding that not everyone has the same perception of beauty. Tattoos and piercings are no longer just for people on the outside of society. Things change throughout time. Elvis Presley's pelvic thrusts are no longer the least bet scandalous. Embrace diversity.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Fort Collins, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Baker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Frank28966
    Participant
    Its a matter of expression, of personalization, of preference, of creating something with the canvas of your body so that you are content when you look in the mirror. It akin to the type of hairstyle you have, the kind of facial hair style you have (for men), or the clothes you wear (though arguably more permanent). You do all these things to present a certain image to the world, and tattoos and piercings are just another level of stylizing and customizing your appearance. Personally, Im a 21 year old male and have 11 piercings, the most obvious being gauged ears (double zeros and 2's) At 12 my dad made me wait a year to get my first earing thinking I would forget about it, at thirteen i called him out and got it. Same with my second earing, and eventually i just started asking my mom. Infact, I got my tongue pierced at sixteen as part of a deal for getting straight A's on my report card. At 21, I haven't regretted or taken out a single piercing although I haven't gotten a new one in about 2 years. I'm a senior at Roanoke College who plans to attend Graduate school and get a professional white collar job. Its funny because this stigma only exists as a remnant of passing generations. By the time that my children are getting jobs, this topic will be so passé because the people hiring them will have tattoos and piercings themselves. The following generation will be caught up in some equally ridiculous hang up in which good people are considered on the basis of how well they adhere to some unwritten social norm and not on their aptitude.

User Detail :  

Name : Frank28966, Gender : M, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.