Why tattoo or pierce a perfectly good…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Pattya
    Participant
    Why do young men and women choose to decorate themselves, particularly their faces, with multiple piercings and tattoos? If a person is very attractive, why mar the natural beauty with holes and ink? If a person is not as beautiful (according to society's standards) why draw added attention to their face and at the same time permanently mark it? Isn't any consideration given to the future problems one encounters when it comes time to find good employment?

User Detail :  

Name : Pattya, City : Springville, State : CA Country : United States, 

Chris32207
    Participant
    I can agree with you in terms of why people decide to decorate themselves, facial or otherwise, with piercings and tattoos. I am not a fan of tongue piercing because it just doesn't look right. I have tolerated it and just ignored it when I see it on other people. Then, of course, there is also the argument of being an individual and standing out among the crowd, and doing your own thing. Well, if you are getting ink done or having something pierced to stand out, it's going to look like nobody is unique, because a good majority of people, male and female, have ink and have piercings. It's not what the tattoo looks like or where you got it pierced, it's the principle of the act. I have no ink done, nor anything pierced, because as I get older, I will realize that what I had done in my youth was disgusting and wild and crazy. Imagine an 80-year-old lady with a whole bunch of holes in her ears, face, etc., and faded ink on wrinkling skin. Now see if your grandchildren don't bug out when they see that. Regarding people who mark their faces: again, no need to speak of freedom and individuality because everyone else has something pierced or tattooed as well. For my age I am somewhat old school when it comes to the way someone looks. I don't like the whole one million dragons, old English letters of a last name, and other figures scrawled all over the human body. Although I do understand it is what makes the personality of the person, doesn't the character of that person make them who they are? In terms of the whole employment thing, I doubt these people with their noses pierced and chains connecting it to their nipples, ears, etc., are looking into working in the arena of corporate life. They will have to settle for jobs that allow such things as that

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32207, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales Rep., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    As far as tattoos on the face, unless you are a tattoo artist, I can see where that might be looked at as a little strange, but regarding tattoos on the rest of the body, this is something that been done for hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years. You make assumptions about people's motivations to get them ('to stand out') without really having any idea of what their motivation is. There are a million reasons someone might get a tattoo: to memorialize someone, to express something or simply because they like them. I am 27 and have what would be considered by most a lot of tattoos, especially for a female. I have a college degree, am working on my master's and am a research scientist. I have never had problems finding a job, and I wear a business suit every day to work.

I don't take drugs, I'm not a criminal, I'm not a deviant ... I just happen to like tattoos. To me, they are a way of accentuating beauty. If you don't like them, don't get them.. But I don't see what it is that YOU need to 'tolerate' because of a piercing or tattoo that someone else has. Why should you care?

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27157
    Participant
    I'm not so sure about the 'individuality' thing anymore. The majority of my friends are marked up and strolling through Hollywood and elsewhere, and half of everyone and their cousin have tattoos and piercings in some form or another. And have you noticed many similarities? Dragons, Kanji lettering, barbed wire, stars (half the kids in Hollywood have a star on themselves somewhere), 'tribal' designs (uh,what tribe was that, again?); it's beginning to get cliched. I think some originality is in order.

In some cases tattooing can enhance the body's beauty by accentuating it. However, some tattoos just look like crap because they're cheaply done or ill-thought-out. If done properly and kept up, they'll be maintained in age, providing that the person follows proper skin care guidelines and goes in every several years for a touch up. I suggest that 'timeless' or 'highly unique' designs are the best bet, because that ultra-trendy floral armband you got as a sorority girl is going to be a laughing matter in 20 years. Also, if you don't want it to affect your career choices, make sure it can be covered up with a shortsleeve t-shirt. People who get full sleeves and mark up their hands and necks are pretty much 'black-marked' for life. As for piercings, I've bounced a few mosh pits and have witnessed or been told about many a fight, and that would be why I'll never get any.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27157, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jackie21221
    Participant
    It's all a matter of personal taste. I was attracted to my girlfriend in part because of some body piercings she has. She is in a career field that allows her to make an excellent living with a couple of piercings, so it is not an issue there. This same debate was probably had at some point when people first pierced their ears.

User Detail :  

Name : Jackie21221, Gender : M, Age : 29, City : Adams, State : RI Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Related, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ryan
    Tattooing and body-piercing is not an issue of individuality, but it can be an issue of acceptance. Many people who have tattoos or piercings form a sense of community with others who are into these practices. Beauty is in the eye of beholder. I have found that tattoos and piercings can add to a person's beauty because it is a form of expression that can show how a person views themselves.

I have piercings and around 15 tattoos, and I certainly have thought about employment issues. I have some that are very visible and have been turned down for jobs because of my tattoos. I have always looked at it this way: my qualifications and who I am should determine if I can do a good job. My tattoos are not going to do the work, and if that is an issue, then I will be able to find employment elsewhere. I have never second-guessed my choice to get tattoos or piercings. I always thought about getting piercings or tattoos, though. I never just went in to a parlor and got something done.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Davenport, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Residence Hall Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    Tattooing and piercing are considered marks of beauty or even tribal identification in some cultures; it is mostly in the industrialized societies that it is considered 'savage.' While many adolescents have ignorantly appropriated body modification as just another fad designed to outrage their parents, some people, such as myself, have adopted it for spiritual purposes. In my case, as a link to the traditions of my ancestors, and as a rite of passage that was otherwise absent from my upbringing. I have a very good job, and my boss, who is relatively conservative and at a fairly high level on the social ladder, doesn't care that I have a tattoo. I also chose a design I felt a strong-enough affinity with that I knew I would be comfortable with it in my old age.

Beyond that, adolescents crave attention, negative or positive, and so far, body modification gets them what they want. They see their favorite movie stars and musicians with such markings, and want to emulate them in their quest to find themselves. Soon enough I believe even 'normal' people will have some sort of 'skin art,' even politicians, and that's when the kids will move on to something else. Meanwhile, the people who take it seriously will continue to express themselves in this manner, as they have for thousands of years.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : poet, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ryan Akins
    The issue is not with personal beauty, nor with "societies standards" as you put it. The issue with body art & piercing, is none other than self-expression. Why do you wear the clothes you wear? Why do you chose to/not to participate in certain sports? Why do you work where you work? These questions are more related to personal expression, than to anything about the norms of society, or other people's views about a person. Life is about living, and having fun, not about always trying to live up to ever-changing fads, trends, and standards. Try not to be so superficial next time, and see the person for who they really are, not for what they present to the world. It's the inside that counts.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan Akins, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 17, City : Fairchild AFB, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student at SFCC, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Some people find tatoos and piercings to be beautiful and a form of self expression. They don't see it as maring their beauty but enhancing it. It is hard somtimes to accept people with different appearances but is everyones right to be independent if they will. You are right, in our traditional western culture it is sometimes difficult to find jobs when one is pierced or has tatoos. This is sad becuase it is not a reflection of how dependable they are in the work force. Maybe try to be more undertsanding and try to get to know someone with this orginality and find out why they do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Katharine Hanold, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 28, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Preschool Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Becca-G23295
    Participant
    I received my first tattoo when I was 16. I had originally asked for a tongue-piercing, but my mother said she would not sign for me to get one. This angered me, but she said I could get a tattoo instead. Why she said OK to a permanent mark still blows my mind. But I got a tattoo, anyway. I guess when I was 16 I thought it would be really cool to have one because none of my friends did. I did not do it to fit in, because none of my friends had them, and if my friends did have them I would not have to have a tattoo to be friends with them. They are my friends not because I have piercings or tattoos.

I believe most people get tattoos for a number of reasons. Some do it because they really enjoy the way they look. Others get them to see the reactions of others who see them. Still others do it as a way of self-expression. There are people out there who draw their own tattoos. This lets the artist carry around a portfolio at all times, because you never know who you are going to run in to. Others get tattoos or piercings to set records. I recently talked to someone who just got into the world records book for the most piercings on the body. I believe it was around 290. This gives some people a sense of great accomplishment. I know some individuals get works of art on their bodies in order to make memories of those individuals who have made an impact on their lives. I have nine piercings and two tattoos and do not regret getting any of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Becca-G23295, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Grand Blanc, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

T.C.
    Participant
    I've always been fine with tattoos on other people, but until about a year ago I never dreamed I'd want one for myself. Tattoos have become very popular in Phoenix, and last month I gave in and, after careful consideration, got a tasteful tribal armband tattoo on my upper bicep. Most comments I've received have been positive ones, but occasionally I'll get one of those 'why did you do that???' stares. That's why I got mine on my upper arm; I can wear even short sleeves and no one but me knows it's there. Comes in very handy during business meetings. I do agree that a person should picture himself or herself with that same tattoo at age 65 before making the plunge. A tattoo isn't something you can easily undo.

User Detail :  

Name : T.C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

mkingM.A.
    Participant
    i have decided to get a tattoo not to fit in but to celebrate a friendship that means the world to myself and my best friend. we grew up together and have been through many things. the tattoo symbolizes our love for each other and its meaning is only appreaciated by us. the attention that comes from others is meaningless and not the reason for the body art. its a way to express something and everyone has their own way.

User Detail :  

Name : mkingM.A., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : temecula, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : medical asst., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tiffany24234
    Participant
    I received my first tattoo at the age of 16, and I do not regret any part of it. Tattoos are art and the right one can accent beauty and individuality. If not though through then the outcome might be bad. I got my second tattoo less than a year ago. Both of these tattoos were hand drawn by me and are completly unique and individual. Although the art of tattooing is not as unique as it used to be. Getting a tattoo was not a way to act out for attention, to rebel or anything along those lines. I recently got my tounge peirced as well. This peircing was in effect a way to increase sexual pleasure. The tounge when used in the right was is very stimulating. When there is a cool metal bead accentuating every touch the increase in pleasure is unbelievable.

User Detail :  

Name : Tiffany24234, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 18, City : Round Rock, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Devon
    Participant
    Not that i'm pierced or have any tattoos because i don't. But if my children ever wanted to get a tatto or a piercing then I would let them. It's a way of exspressing their individuality, and the way they want to represent themselves. If that is the way they feel then why must you question them? Its their body. :)

User Detail :  

Name : Devon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 17, City : Eagle Bridge, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

alex
    Participant
    I suppose people who want those tattoos get them. As will when they see what happens after 10 or 20 years will have to deal with them.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.