White people and their clean hair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

J.
    Is it true that most white people wash their hair every day? If so, why? If I did that every day my hair would fall out in clumps because it would be so dry. Besides that, it doesn't get dirty every day.

User Detail :  

Name : J., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Editorial Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Crystal
    I wash my hair every day or at least every other day. Any less frequently & it looks really terrible, especially because it is long. Part of the reason my hair doesn't dry out from such frequent washing is because it is oily; I also use a deep conditioner on my hair to keep it shiny.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ELISE25303
    Participant
    I USUALLY WASH MY HAIR EVERYDAY ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES I ONLY GET IT WET, NOT USING SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER. I HAVE GONE FOR DAYS AT TIMES OF NOT WASHING BECAUSE I LIKE THE WAY MY HAIR LOOKS OR I DON'T HAVE TIME TO STYLE IT.MY MOM ALWAYS NAGS ME WHEN I DON'T WASH MY HAIR AND IT GETS OILY LOOKING, SO PERHAPS IT WAS JUST A LEARNED PRACTICE. MY EX BOYFRIEND DID NOT WASH HIS HAIR FOR OVER THREE MONTHS AND HE WAS A TRACK ATHLETE, SWEATING IN THE SPRING TIME SUN, BUT HE WAS TRYING TO GET HIS HAIR TO DREAD UP. YES HE WAS WHITE.

User Detail :  

Name : ELISE25303, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : CARLSBAD, State : CA Country : United States, 

ACC25131
    Participant
    I think this question is a pretty good response to Shawn's question (also in this section, about six questions previous). There are some simple everyday things many of us don't know about each other, such as the different hair and skin care practices of different ethnic groups. Many Latino people also have drier scalps that should not be washed every day. I also know my Asian wife refuses to use hot water on her hair. In the Philippines they believe it damages hair and makes split ends.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25131, City : W Lafayette, State : IN Country : United States, 

J21110
    Participant
    White people's hair gets straggly and stringy and won't do anything if you don't wash it. Mine is kind of dry, so I do it every other day unless I go to the gym. Lots of styles are done using a blowdryer (like if it's layered and brushed back), so you have to get your hair wet, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : J21110, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Erin W.
    Participant
    It's true that most white people wash their hair everyday, and I am one of them. We seem to produce an exorbitant amount of oil on our faces and scalp. Daily washing does dry out the rest of the hair, however. Some hairdressers suggest that only the hair near your scalp need be washed with shampoo everyday, and the rest merely rinsed with warm water for healthier, shinier hair. I have been told women in Europe do this.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Warren, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Purchasing department, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sharon28096
    Participant
    I wash my hair every day. I use styling products, and if I don't wash my hair every morning it feels dirty. I have never had clumps of hair fall out. It's just that white people and black people have different types of hair. Mine is textured and extremely thick. My sister's is fine and thin. Chalk it up to 'everybody is different.'

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon28096, Gender : F, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 27, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Susan
    Participant
    I'm of Italian and Portuguese descent, but of course I always get grouped in as 'Caucasian.' I know that if I don't wash my hair daily, even if all I did was hang around the house or go to the movies, my hair would be super greasy close to my scalp. I'm not a sweaty or pimply person, but my hair is too soft, I guess. Believe me, if you want to know why so many white girls wear hats, it's not because their hair looks bad, it's because they didn't have time to shower and it looks greasy!

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : FT Student/Nanny, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Mine gets oily if I don't wash it, and then it just feels gross and my head itches. So I wash it every day.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Crystal
    Most Caucasian people have hair that is finer, straighter and oilier than African Americans' hair. If I didn't wash my hair at least every other day, it would be a stringy, smelly mess. I had a white coworker who only washed his hair once a week, and believe me, it was not a pretty sight.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah28403
    Participant
    I'm a white girl and wash my hair every day, because if I didn't it would get greasy. White people have more moisture in their scalp and skin than black people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah28403, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Erin-K
    Participant
    It's true that most white people wash their hair every day. It is mostly because if I don't, my hair gets greasy and appears dirty. And dandruff becomes a problem, too. Some white people don't wash their hair daily, though, and you can usually tell because their hair is shinier and weighed down. Washing your hair every other day is better - it allows you to keep your hair's natural oils, so your hair doesn't become 'fly-away' and get split ends.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin-K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : AT&T, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Kim
    It's not because of dirt that many white people wash their hair every day. I sometimes wash mine twice a day. I may not have been anywhere or done anything to get it dirty. It's just that the oil builds up very quickly. I guess you can see why I used to be equally confused about why someone would purposely add grease to his or her hair. When it comes to hair, there are defintely differences among the races.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Portsmouth, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lucy-H22363
    Participant
    Most white people I know wash their hair every day, as do most Latino people I know. I wash my hair every day; I have to or it doesn't feel right. My hair is also curly, so if I don't wash it, it doesn't look right, either. I think it is an issue of different types of hair. I wish I didn't have to wash my hair every day, because it is a pain sometimes.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22363, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TR24808
    Participant
    My aunt adopted two black children, and she says their hair is very dry and can't be washed every day. On the other hand, many white people have hair that is oilier and must be washed daily to be kept clean. I don't know why this is, but it explains the difference in hair-washing habits.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24808, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.