White friends’ reaction to my African art

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Xande
    So, you don't understand why blacks have a problem with there American ancestry. Could it be because our ancestry isn't american? You know that you're dutch because your ancestors most likely came here of their own free will, while the africans did not. You may not know this, but most of us don't know our specific african ancestry since our ancestors were raped of it. Of course you think it's ugly considering you're above it all, living by the phrase 'if it aint white, it aint right'.

User Detail :  

Name : Xande, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Medical Underwriter, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Xande
    Yes, white people react the way they do because of a phrase my mother heard throughout her childhood in Memphis; 'If it aint white, it aint right.' White people, I'm talking about the racist ones, have no appreciation for anything that is not produced by white people. Ironically, I'm a black male, and I dated a guy who LOVED the African culture so much that he got a masters degree and his Ph.d in African history. He taught me about African culture and art. He's white.

User Detail :  

Name : Xande, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Medical Underwriter, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sam Foster
    I think that a common misconception held by a lot of whites is that a Black person getting in touch with and/or admiring their hertiage and the art contained within is synonomous with exhibiting a black nationalist attitude. A white person who views this art and is upset or surprised by it is probably questioning why you aren't assimilating into the white majority culture. So get some pictures of smiling white families on those walls!! After all, they did 'give' you your rights in 1964, right? (For the slow people, that was sarcasm)... I have a few prints in my apartment... one is of Malcolm X, one of John Coltrane, and one of Angela Davis... and so many people who come into my place are shocked by this... sometimes it's used as a conversation piece (i.e. 'Why would a white guy have pictures of black folks on his walls?'), but it makes other people uncomfortable to see something that isn't commonplace in their comfortable little bubble. Oh... and in a country that is still intrinsically racist, being black is sometimes a 'questionable political view' in itself... Hotep!

User Detail :  

Name : Sam Foster, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual, Not Religious, Age : 23, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Broadcast Editor, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary-Z
    Participant
    I'm white, and I don't think I would be at all shocked by African art. I like art, and textiles from many other countries. I do notice though sometimes, much as I hate to admit it, when I see an African American person I don't know in a very distinctly African outfit I have mixed feelings. On one hand I usually think how cool, admire the outfit, and admire the person for..not sure else how to put it but not being shy about who they are. And part of me almost wishes I could wear something like that..being white though it seems like it would be weird. But a small part of me, on the other hand though would feel a bit awkward approaching that person dressed in that African outfit. I think its that ...well this is an open forum right...I wound if someone so proud of their African-ness might be not so fond of white people. Like they might have a chip on their shoulder or something. Maybe thats what your friends are thinking about the African art? Anyway sometimes I want to compliment the person on that outfit but I'd be very unsure how they'd take the ocmment. I guess whats so great about this forum, we can talk to each other about this stuff. Anyway the weird thing is I don't feel the same if I see say and Indian woman in a sari, or Muslim women with her hair covered (very common where I live). I think it must just be that there has always seemed to me to be more racial tension between whites and blacks than say whites and Indian people for example. At least where I live. Guess thats it

User Detail :  

Name : Mary-Z, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MICH.. Country : United States, Occupation : technology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt-Cramer
    Participant
    Well, unless you've brought in something very unusual, I doubt I would be particularly shocked -but that may be because I'm relatively used to African art (even though I'm white). My grandmother keeps a fair-sized number of carvings and other artwork from Africa. I think most of them were gifts from one of her son and his wife, who were missionaries in Africa for a long time, but I also think she went there herself once. However, for those who aren't used to African artwork, they might be startled simply by the differentness of it. European artwork has tended to favor realistic depictions of objects as they are, or totally abstract designs (yes, I know there are exceptions!), while much of the traditional African art I've seen has been intricate, stylized depictions of real objects. (I'm not entirely sure what sort of art you're describing, but I am assuming it is the same sort my grandmother collected, instead of, say, a realistic portrait of a famous black person.) In any case, the overall appearance is quite different, and anyone who hasn't seen it before probably will be taken aback.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt-Cramer, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jamaul
    Participant
    art is power of creation...it moves..it stirs...it changes...listen to a song...hear its rhythm...african drums possess...eyes roll back into heads...ancestors are called...they speak...white people are confused and scared of this power...art for them is a commodity...something you acquire...collect...sell...a painting of sunflowers by van gogh (yes the buyers were japanese but still)...anyway feeling the power of african art...makes you feel...and white people in general ar scared of african power

User Detail :  

Name : jamaul, City : brooklyn, State : OH Country : United States, 

PaleRider19856
    Participant
    I have noticed that black people and other cultures are taken aback by my confederate flag I have in my yard. I honor those that fought in the civil war and I am proud of my Southern heritage. Why would my heritage and my choice to display that dear flag offend anyone? I am proud of my heritage and others should honor my right to be proud of it.

User Detail :  

Name : PaleRider19856, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Not answered, Disability : Not answered, Race : Not answered, Religion : Methodist, City : Newyork, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

basil lucas
    Participant
    You have noting to explain about why youu proudly display your art. In my home I proudly display my art and I have a white roommate . Im not trying ot make a political statement , im decorting my home and so are you . The hthings you choose to place there reflect your taste and idea of beauty. I f a white person comes inot your home and is all in a tizzy or feels uncomfortable about your art, that is not you but them and they need to name what they are feeling and deal with it. Now flip this how do black people or people of other cultures feel when everywhere they go there is noting or extremely little that looks like them how are they supposed to process that daily . A white person can choose an existence of not ever dealing with an obvious person of color if the want to so to waklk into you r home and feel ???is work that they have to do . you should have no guilt but be proudley ready to discuss origins and meaning of your art and buy more

User Detail :  

Name : basil lucas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : black afro West Indian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 35, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stevo
    Participant
    In response to the original message post.... Maybe if you were from Africa and not born in the United States, you could call it African. My non-American ancestors were born in Germany and Ireland but I don't claim to have their influence in anything I do. I don't even consider myself Irish or German.....I am American and that's my influence and unless you were born in Africa, you also are African

User Detail :  

Name : Stevo, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JBS
    Participant
    White people don't want to see your African art. All of America is used to seeing white, American art. Even other ethnicities prefer white art in America. Whites don't relate to ethnic - especially black art and think you are being anti-white. Excuse me, but they are so stupid. They believe everyone in America wants to be white, that white is the best and that no one of a different ethnicity, if they are cultured, could possibly love themselves and display their art without hating whites.

User Detail :  

Name : JBS, City : minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

Karla
    Who are you to say if an African American is insecure about themselves so that is why they hang up African Art. First of all, Africa is a part of our history, and second of all we wouldn't have been Americans if not for slavery. Just because you want to forget your Dutch culture and just pick up on the American culture doesn't mean that everyone else should have to forget their past. Why should African Americans forget our culture to pick up the American culture? The American culture is nothing more than a mixture of every culture that comes into America. Remeber this you will never know where you are going unles you know where you are from.

User Detail :  

Name : Karla, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : University Hts., State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

R White
    The oldest female remains were found in Africa (Eve)!

User Detail :  

Name : R White, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Ethopian-Israelite, Age : 29, City : Daytona Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : education, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Patrick Davis
    Participant
    Simone that is my sentiments exactly. I love african art, I really enjoy Oriental art as well. I have found that most of the black Americans I am friends with have Oriental art in there house.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Davis, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tena
    Participant
    I think it's just plain ugly.

User Detail :  

Name : Tena, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Grand Rapids, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : dental assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Simone R.
    Participant
    How dare you say why do Blacks have a problem with America. We are the ONLY race that was brought to America against our will. Every other race CHOSE to come to America. Africans were stripped of their language, culture, lineage. Most African- Americans have no recollection of African culture. You may not put boots up in your house, beacuse it has no personal meaning to you, but for African-Americans to display our beautiful art in our homes is a reflection of our love and rememberance of a country that our ancestors were forced to forget. So until you are forced to give up your culture instead of CHOOSING to, then you had no basis for the repugnant statement that you wrote.

User Detail :  

Name : Simone R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : White Plains, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : office manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.