White friends’ reaction to my African art

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

David Rogers
    Participant
    I am Nigerian (full blooded) and I don't have anything related to nigeria in my house, except pictures. Why do you have to display your culture?? I understand this is YOUR house,if you notice when you go to other houses of any race, thye don't have their ethnic decorations bombarding the walls, of what i've seen most african americans do this, and I don't know why? YOu already know your from there. You don't need artifacts to remind you of it.

User Detail :  

Name : David Rogers, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Nigerian, I don't consider myself black, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : Upland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

David Rogers
    Participant
    also, you don't need to put that up. That's like a white person putting up the potraits of white beating blacks, and saying 'that's what my anscestors did. I'm not like that but I just want everyone who sees this to acknowledge it'

User Detail :  

Name : David Rogers, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Nigerian, I don't consider myself black, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : Upland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Lady-L
    Participant
    Maybe it's because they seldom see African art. After all, most whites don't display it OR have AA friends OR are invited into AA homes. African art isn't exactly pushed. BTW, I find it beautiful and collect it myself.

User Detail :  

Name : Lady-L, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara
    I can see that this was posted a while ago, and the issue has probably been resolved by now, but for the benefit of others reading presently (like myself): Is it possible that your white friend's visceral reaction to your art wasn't part of a negative response? I know that sometimes I see a sculpture, or a picture, and it makes me stop, or catch my breath, and it might even make me a little uncomfortable with myself, but I enjoy it...I enjoy things that are striking and that challenge me, make me think...

User Detail :  

Name : Sara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : na, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.