Whiney, liberal NPR

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Sam Foster
    NPR is a nice alternative for those of us who are tired of listening to Neal Boortz, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mike Savage, et al... who have been, and remain the REAL whiny radio voices. Spouting off opinion after opinion and obsessing over Clinton, it's enough to make me sick. I'd much rather listen to the calm voices and newsworthy information on 'All Things Considered' than the rantings of some silver spoon Conservative who whines about Affirmative Action or same sex marriages.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam Foster, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual, Not Religious, Age : 23, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Broadcast Editor, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Julia S.
    Participant
    The answer is that, yes, loads of people think the same way you do about NPR. Just as loads of people think other media outlets are run by and for self-centered, arrogant, narrow-minded rich Republican white men. I have to laugh when I hear people attack NPR because, as a supporter of it, I couldn't agree less with your assessment. I generally find that those who make such sweeping generalizations about its content haven't actually listened to the variety of topics, voices and perspectives available.

The great part is there's more than enough radio stations, TV shows, newspapers and magazines that no doubt offer a perspective you're more comfortable with. If you don't like NPR, don't listen. Isn't that a wonderful solution?

User Detail :  

Name : Julia S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Freelance writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Elle-M
    Participant
    It seems to me the only one droning on and on is you. You may as well have said, 'I'm a jealous, racist, bitter person stuck in a dead end job.' Does it really bother you THAT much that some people enjoy listening to things that you don't enjoy? Do you think its only rich people that enjoy the theater, antiques, or art? I am broker than Jesus right now, but I still enjoy browsing antique stores. And unlike you, I can handle the fact that some people can afford more than me.

User Detail :  

Name : Elle-M, Gender : F, Race : Caucasian American, Age : 20, City : dothan, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Student/graphic artist, 

Damon Beck
    I've NEVER heard of any self indulgent discussions about 'exotic' trips to 'Europe'. While many of the radio personalities are white, the topics of discussion usually have more depth. 9/11, U.S. foreign and domestic policies, conspiracy theories, and the such. I'm a black man and most of my 'conscious' friends are people of color, consider themselves to be radicals, and all listen to and respect National Public Radio.

User Detail :  

Name : Damon Beck, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Inglewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : counselor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nick
    Participant
    At my school we laughed at NPR as a prime example of left-leaning propaganda. Now that I'm in the army, even the privates (whom NPR liberals say we've duped into fighting a war for us) call NPR 'Radio Free Moscow.' I've got a friend in the 1st Armored who says the whole division was pissed off when NPR correspondents came through Baghdad and refused to interview the 99% of soldiers who thought the war was just and were happy to be doing their jobs. BBC is even worse, though.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : College Station, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Soldier, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ben
    Participant
    Keep in mind also that NPR is decentralized; stations decide their own content (though they can by program rights from other stations). The public radio where I live now, in Southeast Michigan, is great; in New York it's terrible.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : pizza delivery, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

SCU29539
    Participant
    I work all over the country, and I can honestly say that the NPR experience is varies greatly from station to station. There are probably hundreds of NPR shows, and each station only carries a few. Based on the Canon shows like All Things Considered, Talk of the Nation, and Prairie Home Companion, I agree that NPR is generally a bit more liberally oriented than most other media, but I'm not even sure I would call it objectively leftist. If you're classifying NPR listeners as all white, tune in when Tavis Smiley is on and you'll get something that's decidedly not honky. And I gotta say, I rarely hear people talking about things like knitting in Manhattan unless it's on This American Life. If you don't like that, tune in some other time. Most of the shows talk about news and current events. You might even like what you hear - unlike most the major news media, they tend to handle opposing sides of a viewpoint in separate interviews back-to-back or on consecutive days rather than picking people representing the two most opposite extremes they can find so you can watch two people too busy being pissed off at each other to get around to explaining why they think what they think.

User Detail :  

Name : SCU29539, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Shawn28115
    Participant
    Tell me, is there ever a time when you don't preference the word 'liberal' with the words 'whiney' or 'bleeding-heart'? If not, then you are inclined to find anything slightly liberal to be whiney and annoying. There are many people who find NPR to be interesting or insightful even if they don't agree with its 'liberal' bent.

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn28115, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Topeka, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Karyn
    Personally, I enjoy NPR, and the only thing I resemble in your description is female and liberal (though I consider myself a practical die hard liberal as opposed to the bleeding heart variety). I find the reporting to be particularly in depth and non-partison. It is a little high brow on occassion, but the national news reporting is unparalleled, IMO.

User Detail :  

Name : Karyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane
    Yes, whites DO suffer from discrimination. Just ask any Irish person.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, 

MIchelle
    Participant
    I listen to NPR, but I also have to agree with the original poster. Most of the announcers on the shows have a slightly nasal, mid-Atlantic or east coast accent I associate with white people. When I first started listening to NPR, it was an irritating adjustment for me because my usual radio station is a local station DFW with black and a Latino announcer. Seriously, there seems to be a vocal lack of diversity on NPR. There aren't even regional accents.

User Detail :  

Name : MIchelle, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 23, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave G.
    Participant
    I take it that you don't listen to NPR much. If you did, you would not have written what you did. I am not rich or female. I find that NPR gives a balanced view of issues, interviewing people from many sides of an isssue. This is much better than the AM radio 'talk shows' that are quite forcibly right wing and many times cruel.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave G., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 51, City : Excelsior Springs, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : manufacturing engineering, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ryan
    thats gotta be one of the funniest questions i've ever read! have you ever listened to NPR? or just going by word of mouth from an anti-npr friend? i've never heard much outside of news about the nation and jazz or car talk on npr. by this rationale do all rich white women sit around watching pbs all day?

User Detail :  

Name : ryan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : does it matter?, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Newfane, State : VT Country : United States, Occupation : kitchen bitch, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Valerie24499
    Participant
    If you don't like it, DON'T listen to it.

User Detail :  

Name : Valerie24499, City : Lexington, State : KY Country : United States, 

Kristy
    I like NPR because it's not over-the-top news like you would find on television. NPR goes out of its way to be fair and to have high standards for journalism, and I like that. Recently I heard an interview with a guy from Metalica - hardly fits your whiney, pampered, female stereotype, eh? I like the BBC news for that same reason. I get disgusted with television news because there is so much 'hype' and it's so slanted. I want to hear the news - not someone else's opinions - when I listen to the news.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.