Whiney, liberal NPR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Jerry-R
    Participant
    Does anyone else think that National Public Radio, the voice of all the white, upper class, bleeding-heart liberals in the United States (mainly women), really only speaks for just them: a bunch of rich, spoiled honkies with nothing better to do than brag about their most recent 'knitting in Manhattan' idiocy or some lame adventure in 'exotic' Europe? It pains me to hear their whiney, pampered voices drone on and on about some self-absorbed topic that I'm not sure anyone really cares about.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry-R, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC25045
    Participant
    Sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read this. It's hard for me to think of NPR's most famous celebrity, Garrison Keillor, as upper class, liberal, whiney or a woman. I'm none of the above as well. I'm not white, have no money or uterus and am not liberal. I'm a fairly traditionalist American Indian/Latino male grad student. Most of the people I know who listen to it are also in academia, and we're hardly wealthy, with not nearly as many nonwhites or women as I'd prefer. That, plus retirees (I see friends of my parents listening to it all the time) seem to me to be their main audience. I've never caught the 'knitting in Manhattan' bits. I've mostly heard stuff about Sept. 11 on NPR ever since that day. And for someone who hates it so much, you sure seem to be obessed with knowing exactly what's on it.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25045, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Rick29812
    Participant
    NPR is a company that produces a wide variety of programs for public radio stations. Since you fail to specify any specific programs, it's hard to respond to your comments. I've never found their news programming to be particularly liberal and definitely not 'whiney' (sic). But if it was only for so-called rich liberals, so what? It is greatly outweighed by the many right-wing bigots spouting lies on so many other talk radio programs.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29812, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy22398
    Participant
    I am definitely not part of the 'white, upper class, bleeding-heart liberals in the United States (mainly women)' that you believe NPR represents, but I listen to public radio daily. Although I am a woman and in the United States, I am not white or upper class, and I don't think anyone would classify me as having a bleeding heart. I know many people who listen to NPR regularly, and they don't fit your stereotype either. The reason I listen to NPR is that they tend to broadcast a more indepth and broad version of the news than CNN, Fox News, or any of the other national news outlets. These news networks tend to broadcast the same stories repeatedly, with no depth, opposing view points, or additional information. Although NPR is not perfect, they cover a much broader spectrum than your average news network.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22398, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 27, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monica A.
    Participant
    And nobody believes 'whites' suffer from discrimination? Hello! I notice that you chose not to specify what race you belong to. Imagine that!

User Detail :  

Name : Monica A., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Ft. Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Mom, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

P-Lover
    Participant
    What the hell does your little rant have to do with the original question? You couldn't make less sense if you tried.

User Detail :  

Name : P-Lover, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Middle of Nowhere, State : ID Country : United States, 

Kelly
    By 'pampered,' do you mean 'educated'? What are your reasons for thinking of NPR announcers, or listeners, as pampered? I'm certainly not- I work two jobs, and am paying my way through graduate school at the same time; I've been working and paying cash for college, undergrad and graduate, since I was 16. I don't believe I've ever had the chance to be pampered. Have I missed some benefit I was supposed to get by listening to NPR, other than the benefits I know about, such as coverage of topics no other news medium covers?

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Sheila
    Participant
    National Public Radio, as a news and information source, is as reliable and credible as they come. Maybe it has a large female audience because it is what most other radio isn't: loud, obnoxious, sexist, separationist...the list goes on. For entertainment alone, it is extraordinarily diverse (Car Talk, This American Life, Marketplace -- no other radio network can claim that kind of mixed bag.) As for the liberal slant, NPR makes no secret about its political leanings, and more often than not it offers a fairly balanced viewpoint on current issues. It certainly doesn't attempt to convert its listeners at gunpoint as do certain other well known radio shows (Rush Limbaugh, anyone?). PS: if you want to be liberaled to the max, try anything on the Pacifica network. Makes NPR look like Pat Robertson.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheila, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

John29241
    Participant
    If you dispise NPR so much DON'T LISTEN TO IT!

User Detail :  

Name : John29241, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chaz
    You obviously haven't spent much time listening to NPR because you don't know anything about their programming. Yes I'm white. Male. Lower middle class income. Very low. My politics ... independent libertarian. A Vietnam veteran. College graduate. I like NPR because it's the only place on the radio I'm likely to hear both sides of a story. I occasionally listen to the right wing talkers on AM radio to see how the other half thinks. What I find is opinion masquerading as information. Gross distortions. Political posturing. Selective reporting. Personal attacks. Personal attacks. Personal attacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Chaz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Internet/computer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Monika
    Participant
    Why does that matter? The valid question would be: Why do you listen to NPR if you disagree with the radio content? Furthermore, white people may experience some form of discrimination but they hardly suffer from it. To both posters: Stop crying.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mahashunya
    Participant
    NPR is liberal. And they do tend to have an WRONG coast, big city bent. I'm from the LEFT coast (California!) and have little interest in east coast stuff. All Manhatten and Dan Pinkwater could drop into a hole and I wouldn't care. Being liberal is about how to make things better for all prople. This is NPR. Being conservative is only about what you can get for yourself. If you want whiney, listen to mindless AM talk radio, populated by bald , fat, white guys bitching about why they can't get laid. If you don't like thinking about how to make things better for all, just don't listen to NPR! It makes you think and that obviously hurts.

User Detail :  

Name : Mahashunya, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 53, City : san jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard-Glen
    Participant
    This long-time listener has watched NPR's gradual slide to the right. It's tragic, but I still listen, because what's the alternative? The politics aren't really important -- what's missing, curiously, from almost every discussion of public broadcasting is the main reason we still tune in -- NO COMMERCIALS! (Of course, that's no longer true; either -- but unlike commercial broadcasting, it's easy to 'tune out' the sponser mentions.)

User Detail :  

Name : Richard-Glen, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Palo Alto, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

N–Chambers
    Participant
    We should try to make our sentences grammatically correct and not fragmented when critiquing and making assessments about the intellect of others. Or, is that 'to intellegent for you'? As far as NPR is concerned, it's a matter of opinion. Some consider the 'middle road' to be mainstream, and what good is that? Again, it's about opinion. What/who makes any induividual the authority on what is smart and/or righteous in life? -Got an answer for that sage?

User Detail :  

Name : N--Chambers, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 

Steve27644
    Participant
    You must really hate Pacifica Radio then, which has permanently stuck itself at about the college sophomore level of sophistication.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27644, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Corporate Cubicle Kind of Guy, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.