Violent schizophrenic threatening my family

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tony Genaro
    Participant
    I befriended a person who is a paranoid schizophrenic, and he has accused my mother of saying something bad about him which she never had said. When I protested to him about this, he pulled a knife and threatened to stab me. I went to his parents, who told me he doesn't take his medication as prescribed every day, and drinks alcohol, which makes him act irrational or violent. His father, a retired police officer, called the police and ambulance to take him to the psychiatric unit in the hospital where he goes for treatment, and they let him out the next day. He makes constant threats toward me and my family. I know he is a sick individual, and don't want to hurt him physically, but if he strikes, I will have to strike back to protect me and mine. Could his psychiatrist be held responsible for his actions, since I feel there is a laxness in the system, and who would be held responsible if he hurt or even killed someone?

User Detail :  

Name : Tony Genaro, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Italian American, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Construction/ Laborer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Laurie-B28630
    Participant
    What a horror. So sorry. This is a legal matter. You need to talk to a lawyer, or to someone down at your local police station for advice.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie-B28630, Gender : F, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

JimS.
    Participant
    I have been surviving schizo-affective disorder (combination of symptoms of schizophrenia and an affective mood disorder) for 17 years. I am sorry that your friend does not manage his condition better, or at all as it sounds. Your friend is fully responsible for his own actions unless he is a minor. His doctor cannot be held responsible. The doctor is treating your friend, but it sounds like your friend is not following the treatment. Although your friend may not see reality every day, he is still accountable for his actions, including following his treatment. I would like to add, if your friend does attack, the best thing you can do is run. Defend yourself if needed and be confident the system is on your side.

User Detail :  

Name : JimS., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Schizo-affective, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 35, City : Knoxville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

maryrandi
    Participant
    Hi Tony, I once went with a man with the same disorder. He was always making accuzations as well or telling sob stories of people in prisons in other lands. It got old very quickly and the relationship was over quickly. however he had a hard time accepting my quits and kept calling and contacting me for many years. I wondered why he could never forget my phone number. Another relationship was with a female friend who had it and she and I were close for many years but the price of our relationship was that she al ways found fault with me for mostly imagined reasons. One day when she went over the top with her abuse was when I felt like I had to call it quits. She has a lot of anger in her. It is sad that these people have such a hard time keeping friends because I know that it can be painful when you feel like there is nobody around but unfortunately they bring their trouble on themselves. they need a strong person who can really help them with a hand up.

User Detail :  

Name : maryrandi, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Baptist, City : green Cove Springs, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : gardener, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

DaniShay
    Participant
    I once had a very, very, close friend who abruptly disappeared from my life. I've not seen him since but have found out that he has since been diagnosed with schizophrenia. I've read a lot about it since. I don't think the psychiatrist in this incident could be held responsible. The erratic behavior began while your friend was off his meds. Once diagnosed and given the help needed, it became your friend's responsibility (or his guardians) to take his medication. Schizophrenics who take care of their illness are capable of leading relatively normal lives.

User Detail :  

Name : DaniShay, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 26, City : Bismarck, State : ND Country : United States, Occupation : child caregiver/restaurant hostess, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.