The richer hoods…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CP19376
    Participant
    When I go to rich areas of Montreal (like Westmount), even if I'm just walking in the street or looking around in a store, I feel out of place. I feel as if everyone must know that I don't belong there. I feel self-conscious about my clothes and manners. Looking at those huge, gorgeous old houses with ivy all over them makes me feel poor and insignificant. I just don't feel at ease among people who hire nannies for their kids, don't do their own cooking and cleaning and spend more money on one outfit than I spend on a month's rent.

User Detail :  

Name : CP19376, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : na, Disability : na, Race : na, Religion : na, Age : 22, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : na, Social class : na, 

Candice19213
    Participant
    Do people from poorer neighborhoods feel uncomfortable when visiting more affluent neighborhoods?

User Detail :  

Name : Candice19213, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan31688
    Participant
    I never grew up in the inner city or a 'barrio' suburb, but I didn't grow up in a posh neighborhood, either. My neighborhood sort of straddles the line between working and middle class, and by middle class I mean an electrician or low-end office worker and not a lawyer or doctor. There are more 'peckerwood' types than gangbangers. And all the drugs and illicit stuff mostly stays within people's homes and not on the streets. All-in-all, pretty decent. But across town on the western side, things are really posh. Four- or five-star restaurants, fancy hotels, $600,000+ houses, etc. I don't really go over there too much except to go to school. It does feel kind of weird traversing around there clad in cutoff Dickies and battered work boots, with a hard-edged demeanor about me. Sometimes people seem to assume I'm entirely out of place, and others do their darndest to pretend I'm nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think I'd want to live there, because I'd lose my identity, and I'd rather be surrounded by construction workers than high-society types. As for my friends from the barrios, they're always darting their eyes around making sure the cops aren't on their tail.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31688, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Gabriel21757
    Participant
    I make about $10,000 a year and don't really feel uncomfortable anywhere. I find most rich people are glad to find that their accommodations and environs are comfortable to everyone. I haven't encountered the archetypal 'snob,' though I've met people across all classes who are 'bubble heads.' My biggest problem is stepping off the doormat and onto the beautiful finished hardwood floor or expensive carpet. My uncle-in-law, a very rich guy with a huge house in the woods, solves this rather easily: the front door is just for looks - everyone must enter through the garage and leave their shoes outside.

User Detail :  

Name : Gabriel21757, Gender : M, Age : 22, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : clerk, 

Lucy-H22679
    Participant
    I don't feel uncomfortable in more wealthy neighborhoods anymore, but I used to. I grew up in the barrio, but the rich areas weren't that far away, so the barrio kids and rich kids went to school together. For the most part they looked down on us, so we hated them. Part of the hate was envy for the easy life they all seemed to have, and part of it was in response to the total lack of respect toward us. But in high school I did have a few friends from the rich crowd, despite the general animosity between the two groups. I never had any problems when I went to their neighborhood, but my brothers would. I guess because they were male they were perceived as more of a threat. They would frequently get pulled over by the cops in that neighborhood for no good reason. The cops would stop them just to ask questions about where they were going and things like that. If they showed any negative emotion - like frustration at being pulled over repeatedly - the cops were likely to make them get out of the car, handcuff them on the side of the road and search the car. Although I am no longer uncomfortable in rich neighborhoods, I would never choose to live in one because I don't want my family to feel uncomfortable visiting.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22679, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mariah-OLeary32477
    Participant
    Sometimes I feel uncomfortable, but only when I really think about it. One time I was shopping in a neighborhood of Minneapolis called Uptown. I told my dad how I thought it was a neat place - very artsy and bohemian, with lots going on there. I said I'd like to buy a house there when I was older. He said, sort of quietly, 'It is an interesting place, but it's very expensive.' I felt stupid, like I should've known it was pricey just by looking around. And I still have this stereotype about the snobby, selfish rich that's hard to get rid of, when everyone at school is working-class kids who want to be rich but don't have anything good to say about people who already are. When I'm with rich people, I only really feel uncomfortable when they're talking about things I can't afford, especially when they're talking like they take it for granted. All the inequality really makes me mad.

User Detail :  

Name : Mariah-OLeary32477, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spiritual Transition, Age : 18, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Monika
    Participant
    I don't feel out of place at all. After all, I may not be there now but I will be someday. May as well get used to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

keimo
    when i go to more prosperous neighborhoods, it inspires me, because i know i'll be there one day after graduate school

User Detail :  

Name : keimo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : STUDENT, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.