Shut up at the movies!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Natasha
    Participant
    Why do black people think it's OK to be loud and disruptive at the movie theater?

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Kansas City, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina26244
    Participant
    Maybe I should ask why when white people encounter one or two or a small group of blacks, they think that whatever they do is representative of a whole race? It is absolutely ludicrous to say that blacks think it's ok to be disruptive at a movie theater because you obviously encountered blacks who were being rude. If there were white people who were being rude at the movie theater, would you ask, 'Why do white people think it's ok to be disruptive at a movie theater?'

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina26244, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : DC, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Denisia25842
    Participant
    You are totally generalizing. To be loud has to do with your upbringing not your race.

User Detail :  

Name : Denisia25842, City : Faifax, State : VA Country : United States, 

Jezebel
    Participant
    I get so tired of people generalizing about black people because of their experience with a few black people. This is not a racial thing; I see all kinds of people talking loud and disrupting others at the movie theater.

User Detail :  

Name : Jezebel, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Exotic Dancer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Trina-D
    Participant
    I don't think its fair to say that all of us are disruptive at the movie theater. I have had problems with blacks and whites at the theaters. If you go to theaters where people have no respect for each other, you will never enjoy the movie, regardless of the race of the moviegoers. I can't tell you the number of people I cussed out because of their cell phones going off during Matrix 2. I actually have to go to theaters in the suburbs so I can at least hear the movie.

User Detail :  

Name : Trina-D, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Network Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Been-There23315
    Participant
    So I guess you never noticed a white person being loud and disruptive in the movies? Well, I sure have. When are people going to realize that race has nothing to do with loud and disruptive behavior? It's prevalent throughout American society. There are loud and disruptive people, period, and being a certain race has nothing to do with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Been-There23315, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 54, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wendy24425
    Participant
    FIrst off, I think it's ignorant of you to hold an entire race resposible for your not being able to hear the punchline of a joke in a movie theater. It's not a matter of race, rather how one was raised. I have been in a movie theater and not been able to hear because some white boys were yelling stupid stuff. Obviously they had no respect for the other people in the movie theater. So hun, don't be so quick to stereotype - this is why we have prejudice and racism running rampant today.

User Detail :  

Name : Wendy24425, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

T-D.
    Participant
    Do you honestly think that ALL black people think it is OK to be loud and disruptive at the movie theater? Do you honestly think that black people are the only people who are loud and disruptive at movie theaters? Lack of consideration and poor manners do not have a race. However, age, education and social factors do occasionally come into play.

User Detail :  

Name : T-D., Gender : F, Age : 34, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Rachel
    As a black person who does not think it is OK to be loud at the movies, I think your question should be why are POOR black people loud. Sometimes people who feel powerless assert themselves in a disruptive manner in order to feel more powerful. Poor white people don't have such a great reputation, either.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 35, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Moni20310
    Participant
    I would have to agree with Natasha on that one. Most of the times when I went out to see a movie, the ones who blurted out loud, unnecessary comments, laughed out loud or who made some other obnoxious sounds were black. Even before the movie started and the seats were starting to fill up, you could tell the people who were entering the theater were black because you heard their big, loud mouths. I would think to myself, 'Uh-oh, I heard some blacks coming.' I know loud people come in all races, but blacks seem to stand out the most. They are inconsiderate of others and their rights. After all, we pay our money to be entertained and enjoy the movie. I know I will catch a lot of flak for this from others, but that is my honest opinion.

User Detail :  

Name : Moni20310, Gender : F, City : Ft.Myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Dominique
    Participant
    I used to work at one of the largest movie theaters in one of the largest cities in America, and I can say from personal experience that people from of all different backgrounds were disruptive. From loud black folks who don't care whether anyone else can hear the movie, to non-English-speaking Hispanics who let their children run up and down the aisles, to rich white people who complain out loud during the movie about the director. We even had a blind man throw his drink into a crowd of people just to hear a reaction. Putting the blame on one set of people doesn't cut it, but no one really understands that until they become an usher at a movie theater.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Krissy
    Participant
    I hate to burst your bubble but blacks aren't the only ones who are loud at the movies. When I was younger my best friend was a white girl who was of German and Lithuanian decent, and guess what? She was loud and obnoxious through every movie we went to! People would turn around and tell her to be quiet! I would try to tell her to be quiet but it was useless. Eventually I stopped going to the movies with her because I was tired of getting in to fights with people. Loud people come in all races. All these generalizations about black people being the only ones with no manners or consideration for others is getting old...fast!

User Detail :  

Name : Krissy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

John29290
    Participant
    I am still amazed by the denial. Go to your local library and check out a book titled 'Why Black People Shout'. Oh, it is by a black author. An HONEST black author. A writer who is not in DENIAL.

User Detail :  

Name : John29290, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : Hamilton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Health care worker, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Crystal
    I don't think blacks have a monopoly on being loud and rude at the movies. I've had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to loud whites, Asians and Latinos. Rude knows no color, nor does polite. I really think there is more of a problem with not knowing how to behave at movie theaters these days due to the prevalence of VCRs and DVDs. People are so used to watching movies in the privacy of their own homes, being able to comment as much and as loudly as they please, I think they forget how to behave while seeing movies in public places. It ticks me off no end (that and cell phones ringing in the theater!) but it's not unique to blacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 39, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aleria
    Participant
    It is not a matter of race. I'm black and I'm not loud at the movies. The difference in one's behavior is not race, but the way that one is raised. It's a matter of class. I've always been raised to act with dignity in public. This question quite offends me.

User Detail :  

Name : Aleria, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 14, City : Marietta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.