Shut up at the movies!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Mewelau-Hall20620
    Participant
    It isn't about being POOR BLACK LOUD PEOPLE or even BLACK LOUD PEOPLE, you should be asking why are PEOPLE LOUD, point blank.

User Detail :  

Name : Mewelau-Hall20620, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 18, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student at UM, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Naj
    Participant
    I'll admit that many a time I'll go to the movies and hear someone laughing extra loudly at something that isn't all that funny. Or I'll hear someone making loud or rude comments at the screen. And guess what? They're usually black. Does this mean that this behavior is an intrinsically black trait? Of course not. I don't do it, and I'm black. I think it has more to do with manners and rearing.

User Detail :  

Name : Naj, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Italian/Native American (Ima Sambo), Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 16, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jane
    I don't know but the next time I'm at the movies, I can almost guarantee you that the person(s) that are the loudest when I go to the movies are white teen males, who for whatever reason, think it's cool to receive cell phone calls while there or think it's 'really gosh darn neat' to throw popcorn and candy from the dark rows in the back!Still, I'll ask the quiet black kids seated in the middle rows why they won't shut up!

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Legal Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dinah
    Participant
    I was going to post something about this- I'm sorry but I have to agree with the original post- to a degree- I have had movies ruined for me by various people of all races,- but the loudest rudest people in my experience, when I turn around to look at them, have been black- I am intrigued by the idea posted on here that maybe it's just poor less educated people who are the rudest to try and assert themslves- makes sense

User Detail :  

Name : Dinah, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Latitia
    Participant
    The funny thing is this isn't the first time this topic has been brought up, and therefore it is obviously more than just a few people with a few experiences. I've had it happen to me EXTREMELY often when i go to the galleria cinema in torrance, so much so that me and my friends now have to trek further to a different cinema as we know 90 percent (yes 90 percent!) of the time we will be sitting near a group of black kids who will just HAVE to give running commentary thoughout the film. I have twice turned around and asked politely for the people to please be quiet, and both times I've had rude response and then it just gets worse. This has also happened to one of my friends. We now go to to cinemas that don't have such a large black crowd, but even so, the two times we did have noisy groups in the cinema it turned out be black groups. One time however they were polite enough to be quiet when asked. (the other time i did not ask) I go to the cinema about twice a week and surely people can not be so steeped in political correctness to say it's only coincidence that I have NEVER had the experience of any other race being so noisy? And no it is not racism, racism is when you don't believe all races are equal. I do think all races have their own characteristics and differences and i suppose black kids are more vocal and loud, this makes them more fun to hang around in school but just not in cinemas.

User Detail :  

Name : Latitia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

DJ25755
    Participant
    Who says Black people think it's ok? That is an old stereotype. But if you want to play that game we can play. Why do white people bring their crying babies and ill trained 5 year olds, that yack through even the previews AND the movie itself? Why do white women ask their dates stupid questions about what is going on in the movie, annoying anyone within a 20 seat distance of her? Why do white people sit in the middle of the row and make 10 trips to the concession stand making everyone in that row get up to let them pass as they drag back soda, popcorn, candy, etc.? Why don't they buy all that stuff before they sit down?

User Detail :  

Name : DJ25755, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Julie27038
    Participant
    I hate it when ANYONE is loud and kicks my chair at the movies. Funny thing is...it's usually the White people that do this when I go. Sheesh!

User Detail :  

Name : Julie27038, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Halley
    Participant
    Where did that come from? I didn't even know that was a current stereotype... it's not just black people, hun, it's anyone who's rude enough to do that.

User Detail :  

Name : Halley, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Nina
    Participant
    African Americans often see viewing a movie in public, or even at home, as a communal event. EVERY movie is like a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture show, half the fun is the audience participation and hearing the comments of others, Thats what makes the movie experience different. My husband and I dance salsa and other latin dances, and we LOVE to go out dancing. Why, I asked? We can dance together at home and play whatever we want to hear. But its dancing with other couples who are dancing that makes it an event.

User Detail :  

Name : Nina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mulit, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : CS, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris B.
    I agree with the majority of the comments that people of all races are likely to be disruptive at a movie theater, but I have also heard something else. On Oprah, this topic was also discussed. Oprah and other African Americans stated that movies were a form of 'Interactive-Entertainment.' Some of the people on Oprah described how they did not want to pay $7.50 to quietly stare at a screen, and the movie is more exciting when you scream things like 'Run!' Much of this behavior is for their enjoyment and it is not intended to be rude.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.