Seeing the light (skin)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jay
    Participant
    This mess that you've written below is a bunch of garbage. It's individuals like yourself that really make living on this Earth hell. The hue of your skin has nothing to do w/how well you mesh with the so-called social elite. You really shouldn't divulge the fact that you're college educated, because you lack the sense to know the ignorance within yourself. Light-skinned women are more attractive, more socially equal to whites and much more intelligent than darker blacks. That is why they are preferred. They aren't like blacks and shouldn't try to be.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : accountant/realtor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shawna
    Participant
    I have never felt better than a dark-skinned person, unless I beat them in a competition! I am a multiracial female, medium to light complexion. There were times back in the day when I believed some darker-skinned individuals may have been jealous, but I hoped that would grow out with age. And it is not just dark-skinned females; it can also be anyone if, say, you walk into a room with your head held high, and the females look at you with that look of 'Who does she think sheeee is?' Or, maybe they just need some self-esteem in knowing that God made them unique, and they should accept the way they are, but they are too preoccupied with wishing they were something they are not.

User Detail :  

Name : Shawna, Gender : F, Race : mixed race, City : Bahama, State : NY Country : United States, 

CeeCee
    Participant
    I am light complected and used to wonder why darker-black women never seemed to like me or just plain ignored or insulted me most of the time. Then one year I happened to be in a classroom full of African American women and men with only two white women in the group. The black men literally ignored all of us black women no matter what our complexions (light or dark). They only had positive conversation and smiles and compliments for the white women. We black women (all complexions joined together as sisters against black female racism in favor of the white females). One day the white females dropped out of the class. Then the black males began to advance positively toward the few lighter complected black females, thus creating a new war between darker females and lighter females. At this time, very discouraged I decided to drop out of this class. I think I began to understand what the white females were probably experiencing because they had no control over the black males favoring them. And I realized that it wasn't my fault (as a lighter black female) that if a white woman wasn't around, many black males would show favoritism to me because I was a closer representation of white in their minds. We have got to learn to start loving who we are. I am starting now TO LOVE WHO I AM by not allowing monoracial darker-blacks and monoracial whites to define me again. My skin is light brown because I have black blood and white blood flowing in my veins. I am neither black nor white as they chose to call me but mixed-race or multicultural as I chose to identify myself. I am tired of being the scapegoat between the two groups from whence my blood comes. I am Mixed-Race or Multicultural--and PROUD. I will say it LOUD! MIXED-RACE or MULTICULTURAL--AND PROUD. PEACE and LOVE

User Detail :  

Name : CeeCee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : CFS/Fibromyalgia, Race : Mixed-race, Religion : Christian, Age : 52, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tahlia Wilson
    Participant
    I think that its bouge how many dark skinned women, hate on light skinned women like its our fault we have long hair and paler skin.In all my 25 years I have never been friends with a dark skinned black girl because most of them never liked me. Society is so busy bashing dark skinned women, such as in rap/tv/ and the media.I don't think people understand how hard it is to see your beauty abolished on tv. Since I'm light skinned,I know how important my beauty is to me a especially my hair;so I couldn't imagine not having much to work with.Alot of darker skinned women are beautiful, with or without the hair/weave/ghetto pursuit.I also believe it is easier to get a black man if your light skinned, because thats what tv/rap/ and media are influencing them to do.

User Detail :  

Name : Tahlia Wilson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black and white, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Trey24880
    Participant
    As a black male I beleive it is because black men tend to like light skinned women. If you look at all the rap videos and such you will most likely see light skinned women. I love dark skinned women just as much as light skinned though. The bad treatment comes out of jealousy.

User Detail :  

Name : Trey24880, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Lewisville, State : TX Country : United States, 

Tobi
    Participant
    I have to be he most light skinned black woman I know. I am 100% pure and total African (from Nigeria-wetern Africa) yet I am teased and looked down on about my skin tone even though I am more African than anyone I know. I believe that it is precieved that I think I am more white than black, therfore I must think I am better than darker skinned womwn.

User Detail :  

Name : Tobi, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, 
    I'm quiet frankly appaulled that any color would treat any other color diffrent. I also belive that society as a whole will not move on in America without conflict if we don't forgive and forget. Blacks need to shut the hell up about slavery. Whites were enslaved also. Before blacks were ever thought of for slavery whites were enslaved. But to answer the question, its most likely because they feel inferior.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob Anderson, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kimchee
    It all started back in the days of slavery when light skin slave girls worked in the house and slept in the masters bed. While the darker black girls worked the field and were treated worse. This psychological trauma has carrid on into our society today and many darker skinned black girls may be paying to much attention to the fact that they're dark and not developing themselves on the inside, which really makes you who you are. Light skin black girls generally are treated better by all races unfortunatley, and it causes tention between the two. I am half black and half korean and I have always been treated poorly for having tan skin, and long strait hair. But I have always thought dark skin and kinky hair was exotic and sexy. Us black women come in such a beautiful array of colors and textures and that's what makes US ALL unique. Check out Spike Lee's movie School Dayz about this topic.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimchee, Gender : F, Race : Blackorean, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

MARK-WILKINS
    Participant
    RENEE, THE REASONS ARE MANY. THE -ISM OF RACE HAS PLAYED ITSELF OUT IN THE TOTAL FABRIC OF OUR CULTURE HERE IN AMERICA. INTRA-RACISM IS ROOTED IN SELF HATRED. A TERM THAT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO EMBRACE. WE ALWAYS SAY:'I LOVE MYSELF'. WELL,...YES AND NO. WHEN TIME ALLOWS, TAKE A LOOK AT THE WILLIE LYNCH PAPER. JUST DO A SEARCH ON 'WILLIE LYNCH'. READ THE CONTENTS OF HIS WORK AND CONSIDER THE FACT THAT THE SYSTEM WAS PUT IN PLACE AND LIVED FOR A VERY LONG TIME. WE ARE STILL SHAKING OFF THE EFFECTS OF INSTITUTIONALIZED SLAVERY. NONE ARE IMMUNE TO THIS. EVER HEARD SOMEONE SAY:'YOU BLACK SON-OF-A-B%&$#'!!! CONSIDER THIS,...WHY IS THIS STATEMENT MORE OFFENSIVE TO THE PERSON IT'S BEING SAID TO BY USING THE (ADJECTIVE)'BLACK'? IN THIS CULTURE THE VERY TERM 'BLACK' NEGATES THE FOLLOWING WORD! CRAZY,HUH? YEAH,...BLACK-MAIL, BLACK-BALL, BLACK CAT,...NOW,...BLACK MAN! RACISM IS A DISEASE,BABY! STUDY IT SO-THAT IT'S INFLUENCES ARE LESSENED ON YOU!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT. OR, YOU'LL END UP PRACTICING THE SAME BEHAVIOR IN REVERSE. ONE LUV! EACH ONE TEACH ONE!~GOD-LIKE_SKILLZ(MARK)

User Detail :  

Name : MARK-WILKINS, City : TRYON, State : NC Country : United States, 

Sidney
    Participant
    A lot of dark skin African American females do treat light skin or honey colored skin African Americans wrong because they think that ligher skin people are funny actting or that they think they are better than others. But I hate to say it because I am a light skin African American female but half of light skin females do act that way. But all of them aren't the same I treat people how i want to be treated and thats with a lot of RESPECT!

User Detail :  

Name : Sidney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I think that dark-skinned women are beautiful. I don't know why that dark-skinned women would feel that light-skinned women would be any better than them. I think that dark-skinned women should be proud of their dark-skin because they are in a class of their own. In which is right up there on the top shelf.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 57, City : Pevely, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Crane operator, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.