‘Nigger’ or ‘Nigga’ Culture

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Participant
    This is conjecture and opinion only. I believe the 'nigga culture' is indigenous to/representative of Blacks of lower socio-ecomomic status. Interestingly, it is embraced by people of varied racial/socio-economic status. In general, an enlightened Black person is unlikely to coddle such an offensive word; in addition, this assertion appears to exclude most of the black & white youth that I know. It represents rebelliousness and non-comformity. Conversely, it represents racial affirmation and originality since it has taken a negative and turned it into an economic positive. To many, it is an 'original' art form since rap music also spawned from this culture. I believe a White person with a modicum of common sense and decorum would never use the term no matter how endearing/empowering the word has become to these culture bearers. America's terrible racial history precludes any acceptable use of the term by non-whites. Hence, the J-Lo controversy. Unfortunately, this is not a fad.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Age : 35, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michele-Holly20740
    Participant
    Matt, as a white guy, the rule for you using those words is this: DON'T.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele-Holly20740, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Douglas-Lyons
    Participant
    I have been researching this topic for ten years as an insider-insider, albiet one with the dubious distinction of an academic background. I would love to know what kind of responces you recieved. respond to devsgrandma1 at aol.com please.

User Detail :  

Name : Douglas-Lyons, City : Moreno Valley, State : CA Country : United States, 

Brittany19286
    Participant
    'nigga' is only used among the african-american youth, meaning homeboy or friend. If a white person were to use the term 'nigger' he/she would suffer the consquences. It all depends on how you use it. When I use the term 'nigga' I;m not referring to a phrase, I;m referring to males. Its like callin a Hispanic a 'spic or a wetback' its derogatory for someone outside the Hispanic race to call an Hispanic that. My boyfriend is Hispanic and that word has never come out my mouth, And I would never use the term 'nigga' around my grandmother because the older people are offended by it. Whereas I think I need more understandin on why I should not use it. But I do say nigga not nigger. Which is a true difference

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany19286, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 15, City : Mitchellville, State : MD Country : United States, 

joseph
    Participant
    nigger comes from negro which means black, and hispanics are not black only blacks african americans so dont call hispanics niggers

User Detail :  

Name : joseph, City : richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.