‘Nigger’ or ‘Nigga’ Culture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant
    Could someone please explain the 'nigger' or 'nigga' culture I hear so much about here in New York? It seems to be limited to blacks and Hispanics, but this label reflects in clothing, attitude, music, etc. What does it represent to people who identify with it? Is it appropriate for whites to refer to people who identify with this subculture as niggers/niggas? I am old enough to remember a time when it wasn't a good term, yet I find that currently it seems to be quite in fashion. What's the story? Are there any positive aspects to being identified as a nigger/nigga, or is it all lower socio-ecomomic based ghetto types? Is it a fad, as was 'punk/skinhead'?

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

JACK21204
    Participant
    NIGGER IS THE TERTM USED FOR LOWER CLASS LOW LIFES.NO GOOD FOR NOTHINGS. LOWER CLASS GANG BANGERS AND ALL AROUND LOW LIFES. COULD BE EQUIVALENT TO WHITE TRASH. PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT TRUST WORTHY OR REAL SIMPLE COMMON THIEF. A PERSON YOU WOULD BE EMBARRASSES TO BE AROUND. NIGGA ON THE OTHER HAND, IS A SLANG TERM. IT CAN BE REFERRED TO AS FRIEND OR ANY OTHER TERMS OF FRIENDSHIP. CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES ARE STYLES AND WAYS OF DRESSING AND LIVING OR PRESENTING ONE SELF. REGARDLESS, NIGGER OR NIGGA SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY 'HIP' OR PEOPLE IN THE 'CLICK' FOR THOSE TERMS NOT TO BE CONSIDERED INSULTING. ETC. GROUP OF FRIENDS OUT ON THE TOWN AND ONE GUY TURNS TO THE OTHER AND SAYS 'HEY NIGGA, WHAT'S UP WITH THE FORTIES, LET'S GET FUCKED UP NIGGER.'

User Detail :  

Name : JACK21204, City : SUNNYVALE, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ken26448
    Participant
    To us who have a sense of respect for ourselves, neither of these words carries any meaning. It is sad that many of our youths consider this word slang or cool. These words are insulting, no matter what race.

User Detail :  

Name : Ken26448, Gender : M, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

ED25461
    Participant
    Please read Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy. You will probably find answers to your questions there.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25461, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 45, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 
    Which I prefer not to say of course has been used throughout the centuries as a form of insult. This word now is being used to signify togetherness and strength to some just as the B word for some women. The orgin of this word actually comes from the word Nigres whom was a mythical god in Eygpt. The followers were called Niggers and they were thought of as noble people of higher class and wisdom. Then again it was used to identify ignorant and backward people in slave times. We can all argue about this word but, if you feel that you should not use it I suggest that you do not.

User Detail :  

Name : Kandice Gray, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Rialto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jennifer adams
    Participant
    why do black people consently call themselves nigger or nigga? what is the point?

User Detail :  

Name : jennifer adams, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 

Carrie
    You know I could never explain why people use that word. To me it is the most offensive word I can think of. It is one of only two words I can think of that you just can't use in adult conversation in our home. The idea that anyone would use it to describe a culture, lifestyle or article of clothing disgusting.

User Detail :  

Name : Carrie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 39, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Doug
    Participant
    I few years ago I was talking to a friend of mine on this subject, who was always using this terminlolgy. I asked him what was the difference between a white person and a black person saying this. He told me that when a white person says it, he is saying 'NiggER' and that is an insult, but when a black person says it to another 'brother' (somebody he considers a friend), they pronounce it as 'NiggA' and means no disrespect to that person and is not racist at all. In other words, it's kind of like 'hey man' and 'hey dude'.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : Hickory, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Government, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sarah28133
    Participant
    I personally feel that this word is not ok for anybody to say wether you are black, white, or hispanic. I find that it is more common among young african american to use this word and they find it ok to say because the entertainment business glamourises this word. When it has been used in history before it had been very offending and negative and the meaning for this word has not changed and it still find it very offending and insulting. African americans have come this far to get rid of the word and i think our youths need to get educated more on what this word means so they too can stop using this word. And many other people agree with what i am saying and the small percentage that use this word should be STOPPED!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah28133, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Anderson, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lindsey
    In my opinion nigger or nigga is an insulting word and youths who use that term are not neccessarily uneducated but ignorant. If you can't respect your own culture, race and yourself, how can you respect others??

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey, Gender : F, Race : Bi-racial (white/black), Age : 15, City : Hamilton, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 
    I beleive that the word 'nigger' is still an insult but many people use the word 'nigga' to represent a friend or 'your boy.' Many words have changed throughout time but this doesn't justify the use of it. It doesn't have the same meaning. But it isn't a term that can be thrown around at anyone. Still many people still feel its an insult. But i think it is a ghetto street thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter Rodriguez, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly R.
    I've been thinking about that for years and the conclusion that I have come to is this: I am not saying that it is okay for black people to use either the n*gga or n*gger term. HOWEVER, I think that for black people, its a unification term, strange and warped as it may seem. When black people use the term n*gga, its like saying, 'We're all in this together, we face the same struggles everyday, we're Black in this country and we both encounter everything that comes along with that.' Or, in short, 'I'm a n*gga, and you're a n*gga too.' Back when that term was the most hateful thing you could say, Whites used it to denote or label Black people as these detestful creatures. And so, when a Black person says it to another one, its a matter of shared identity, eventhough that identity is a negative one. So, most Black people will become offended when someone other than a Black or Hispanic person uses that term. When White person uses that term, it couldn't possibly be an acknowledgement of the shared experience of being a demeaned minority in this country. And so I think a lot of Black people view it as taking on its original meaning.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tara27423
    Participant
    The word nigger/nigga is a very strong word. Many elders of the black community feel this word is an insult and is very hurtful. There are many ways to look at the word. For the majority of young blacks it is changing the word from something that used to hurt many into a word that connects black people to remember the struggle and show we are a strong race that overcomes. Many white people cannot understand this, though most of us couldn't care less. Then there is the group that feels that anyone should be able to say it. I do not believe the word should be used, period, but if it is, it should be used by a person of color. The word is not going anywhere, and it's better being used in a positive way within the black race than anywhere else.

User Detail :  

Name : Tara27423, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 16, City : Myrtle Beach, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lacy
    I think those words are associated with the past and were very degrading. Overall I think that if white people can't say it, then black people souldn't either. I have been called a white B***h before by a black man and it hurt. Using a name to identify your race that could only be used by your race only seperates us more. Don't call yourself something that you don't others to call you.

User Detail :  

Name : Lacy, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Christine
    Nigger is a racist term. When people started using the term again, they put the A on the end and said that now it means friend or homeboy. Either way, both are very offensive words, and I hate hearing them out of anyone's mouth. If you look in the dictionary, it has the definition of 'nigger' as a lazy, ignorant, shiftless person. So that is the only way that I can see the word being used.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.