My daughter’s Chinese boyfriend

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Bella23346
    Participant
    Maybe you're worried for nothing. Did your daughter say she plans to marry the guy? Don't count your grandchickens before they hatch. My boss's husband looks totally white, but his father is a dark-skinned man from Mexico who has dark hair. His mother is white. In their case, the mother's genes dominated. It happens. Looks are superficial. If you end up with mixed grandchildren, when you see your daughter's joy and love for her children, you will feel it, too. The colors won't matter. Ask anybody who has mixed kids or grandkids. And what if your daughter and this man had kids who turned out to be mixed-race superstars like golf phenom Tiger Woods, Oscar-winner Halle Berry or Grammy-winner Mariah Carey? Would looks matter then? No. You'd be too proud to care.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23346, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
    My daughter married a Jamaican/Chinese man (she is fair-skinned, blue-eyed) and I now have three grandchildren who are more oriental looking than fair-skinned. If I could only make you know how beautiful and intelligent and loved they are. Their ages now are 12, 10 and 4 and my heart bursts with pride. It's time we all look beyond ethnicity and realize we are all human beings and judge with your heart; not your eyes.

User Detail :  

Name : Dorothy M. Lovaglio, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 61, City : Leesburg, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : housewife, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ginny
    Maybe you should look at some mixed race famous people to get some idea of what your hypothetical grandchildren might look like. Keanu Reeves and Tiger Woods come to my mind as people who are part Asian and rather attractive, at least in my opinion. I am Korean and Caucasian, and not unattractive (well, at least according to my husband :) ). I actually do look like both my parents to some extent. If you happen to be concerned about how these children might fare in our image-conscious society, I don't think you need to worry; I don't feel that multiracial people have nearly the stigma that they would have had a couple of decades ago.

User Detail :  

Name : Ginny, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : scientist/amateur sociologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D-Finney31790
    Participant
    A child can still look like there parent. Just because your color is different doesn't mean your features will be. If you are worrying about if your child is going to look exactly like you then your paranoid. You gamble with that no matter who you conceive with. You could be as pale or as black as you wanna be, but your kid could have the same shaped eyes, nose, cheekbones, or etc. Both of my parents are black and my brother and I have the same parents. I look just like my father, my brother looks more like my mother, plus he is lighter. This situation is not uncommon. Also, don't forget there are several possibilities what your child will look like. It doesn't just go by the immediate parents or family members. It is your genes, so the kid could look like your great grandmother, great aunt, grandmother, mother, uncle, cousin, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Finney31790, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Norman
    Participant
    I am Japanese American and my wife is Caucasian. My wife's parents accepted me with no problems, but her grandmother, Millie, was against the marriage. Her feelings went back to World War II, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Only after the birth of our son did Millie partially accept that her grandchild was of Japanese descent. Our son and daughter bare only a slight Asian appearance. Both are fascinated with their Japanese heritage.

I approach people of all races and ethnic backgrounds as human beings. You should openly accept your daughter's choice in marrying a Chinese man. Most importantly, show your support to the thought of mixed-race grandchildren. Remember, your grandchildren, no matter what mix, are your flesh and blood.

User Detail :  

Name : Norman, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 37, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, 

Simone-Prim
    Participant
    I am a 18 year old black/female and I can relate to how your daughters chinese boyfriend feels. I date white/males most of the time and when they take me to his house to meet his parents they look at me funny, and later on tell their son they dont feel comfortable. At first it would piss me off but I got used to it (no one had to like me if they dont want to). Maybe your duaghter isn't dating him because his chinese, but because she loves him and he makes her happy. In my opinion if you want her to be happy why does it matter what color they are or how they look just as long as he treats her right. Dont try to stop her happiness. For some reason your scared maybe you should sit down and figure what's so wrong with your daughter dating outside her race.

User Detail :  

Name : Simone-Prim, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, 

alex
    Participant
    The white race does not exsist. And you are from Spain, meaning you are 'less white' then the rest of europe. Therefore, this Chinese man probably has similar physcial charateristics to you. That means its doesnt matter. Geez, i hate to see if your daughter was dating a man from Africa. And if you lover your daughter, you will lover her bi-racial children. and if you dont, she doesnt need your love anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

Robert
    Coming from Spain you may not be aware that this child will be 'white' despite the fact that he is half Chinese. In America all children who are half white at birth are considered white. Your grandchild will enjoy the same benefits and privledges as all full bred whites! The only exception to this rule is if the child has even the tinniest part black in him. Then this would void their whiteness and the child would be condemmed to living as a black. As long as your son in law is full pure Chinese then you have no need to worry.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Melisa
    Participant
    Umm, I beg to differ. I have many biracial friends who look like both of their parents. I myself am biracial, and resemble my white mother in many ways but have my father's warm skin tone. Are you completely ignorant? Like, DUH!??!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Melisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Irish/African, Religion : Bleh, Age : 22, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Happy
    Participant
    My husband has brown hair and blue eyes.I have brown hair, brown eyes and a fair/medium skin color. My daughter is very fair with blonde hair and blue eyes. She looks nothing at all like me. People have always thought that I was her stepmother. There is absolutely no way of predicting what your children or grandchildren will look like. The best you can hope for is that your child will marry a kind, decent person and be happy. By the way, my daughter has friends who are part Asian and they are gorgeous.

User Detail :  

Name : Happy, City : OKC, State : OK Country : United States, 

Cathy
    I think that if she is happy then you should let her do what she wants.My best friends is Filipino and my parents had no problem with that. They treated her as a person they didnt try to act nicer just so she would think that they wernt raciest. they acted regular treated her as the person she is, not for what she looked like on the outside.i mean if it came down to indside a person you wouldnt know what race they were. So i think you should respect her decition and let her be happy.

User Detail :  

Name : Cathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : hesperia, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Julia-M
    Participant
    I think you have some type of fear for unknown people; it means, if you grew up w/ any Asians, most likely, you will not have same feelings as you have right now. It is all about 'fear'. You may feel another culture will invade your family? It will never happened as everybody know.

User Detail :  

Name : Julia-M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 30, City : Arlington, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Steve27675
    Participant
    I'm a republican, very conservative with some views and very liberal with others. Middle of the line in reality if all is taken into account. I was married to a Japaneese lady for 12 years and we had a great relationship. I looked forward to having children with her and didn't care what our children looked like. In fact, she was much better looking than I and hoped our children would look more like her than I. So your grandchildren look different than you or your daughter....whats the problem??? Do you love your daughter? Does she love her husband? The child they have is an individual, external appearance shouldn't matter. Why is this so hard for you? Two people that love each other, marry, and start a lasting family is so hard to find these days. Give them a chance.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27675, City : Chattanooga, State : TN Country : United States, 

J21172
    Participant
    From experience I can tell you that the boys parents are probably feeling the same thing. Might even be worse. Ethnicity can be a very important issue to Asians when it comes to marriage. His parents would probably prefer that he marry someone who is Chinese. It is also sometimes looked down on to marry non-Asians because of the cultural differences.

User Detail :  

Name : J21172, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 18, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

keri
    I am of asian appearance but have grown up in white australian society. I was adopted by white parents. Their families (my aunts and uncles and grandparents) all accepted me and loved me as if i was my white parents' newborn. They saw me as a neice or a grand-daughter, because it was love that brought everyone together. My current partner (and man i will most likely marry) is white. He and his family welcome the idea that we will have children, despite our different looks. some half asian children dont even look asian! I hope that your love takes over and you see these possible children as your true grandchildren who you love regardless of their looks.

User Detail :  

Name : keri, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : perth, State : WA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.