My daughter’s Chinese boyfriend

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Participant
    I feel very uncomfortable because my daughter is dating a Chinese man. I have nothing against his culture and respectable occupation as a dentist, I just find it difficult to imagine part Chinese grandchildren. I am from Spain and am white, and they do look different from us. What do others think of this?

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 20, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29962
    Participant
    Probably I'd feel the same if this happens to me. I would not like to have half breeds grandkids either, you can call it racism, discrimination or whatever, but I call it sticking to your own people, same as jews do.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29962, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Hayward, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28266
    Participant
    You aren't alone in being wary of interracial relationships. Almost anyone who hasn't experienced them before feels similiar to you. However, I'm willing to bet that once your grandchildren are born, your emotional attachment to them will be so strong that their race won't matter at all. Besides, look on the bright side of things, a Chinese dentist is much better than a White drug dealer.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28266, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Warehouse, Social class : Lower class, 

Kent26470
    Participant
    I have many friends who have Chinese/Caucasian children and grandchildren. They have varied warm skintones, and often extraordinarily handsome and beautiful faces. I look forward to one of my grandchildren marrying a Chinese person. People from Chinese backgrounds - especially those like your dentist and possible son-in-law - are always very determined to achieve educational and professional/business success. This is something your grandchildren could greatly benefit from.

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26470, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 58, City : Brisbane, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben
    Participant
    As a white person - especially a person with very fair features such as myself - I think this is always an issue. I find women of many different ethnic backgrounds to be attractive, but I know that if I marry a woman who isn't white, or even one who is but who has dark hair and eyes, then my children won't look like me, and that's a difficult thing to cope with. I don't have an answer, but I know how you feel.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Marcus22211
    Participant
    I can understand what you mean. It is an inherent thing in all of us that we'd like our children and grandchildren to resemble us. By mixing in another race, you fear your grandchildren will look 'different' from you. Pretty simple. Conversely, I'm sure his parents are having a silent heart attack thinking of their grandchildren being half-white.

User Detail :  

Name : Marcus22211, City : Ottawa, State : WY Country : Canada, 

Jessica30658
    Participant
    If your daughter is dating a Chinese man, it's probably because he's a good, kind and smart person. If this man makes your daughter happy, isn't that the most important thing? As for mixed-race grandchildren, no matter what their ethnic makeup, they'll still be your grandchildren, still your blood. They will deserve and need your love. You shouldn't love them less because they'll be half-Chinese. I hope you will support your daughter in whatever descision she makes, and encourage her to seek her own happiness.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica30658, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Raleigh, State : MS Country : United States, 

Keimo
    I agree with you totally. If I were to marry a white man I wouldn't want children because I know they wouldn't look like me. So I understand what you're talking about. But at the same time, there is nothing I would want more than to have a child with the love of my life, regardless of his race.

User Detail :  

Name : Keimo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ramonna30225
    Participant
    If you have nothing against this man's culture or occupation, or I assume, him personally, then the only reason for your discomfort is for purely racial reasons, which under most circumstances would make you clearly a racist. It seems that you either don't like or are uncomfortable with people who look different from you, even your own grandchildren (if they have children). Yet, the fact that you are even asking what others think leads me to believe that you want to get beyond this. I suggest that you get to know your potential son-in-law and his family a lot better. Perhaps you will learn that your initial discomfort will disappear.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramonna30225, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

ED25508
    Participant
    He may 'look different' from you, but I can assure you he's exactly as human as you (and your daughter). Assuming she does marry him and have his children, they will be beautiful, as all children are, and you will love them just as much as you would love any 'all-white' grandchildren you might have.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25508, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 46, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Cynthia31786
    Participant
    Ben, I don't know how 'light' your features are, but I'm assuming you're 'Scandanavian Blond'. Most people here aren't blond like that. Besides, what if you marry a girl with, say, light brown hair, and one of your child turns out with medium brown hair? Would you love him/her less than your lighter kids? You're young, Ben, but please think about it before you get into a serious relationship with a girl.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31786, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 23, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ailina
    Participant
    My white mother was raised by her extremely racist grandparents. They were appalled when she married my Pacific Islander father. After I was born, my mother's grandparents had little to do with me or my father, but it didn't take long for them to 'fall in love' with their mixed-race granddaughter and eventually come to accept my father for the wonderful man he was. I inherited my father's dark complexion, dark hair, and dark eyes, but my features are strongly similar to my mother's. Even in the predominantly white Southern community I grew up in, I was easily identified by facial features as my mother's daughter. I'd be willing to bet that if your daughter does have children with this man, they will resemble their mother as much as they do their father. And I'd also be willing to bet that once you've been exposed to the children, you'll form a strong emotional bond--whether you want to or not--despite your discomfort with his ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Ailina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Pacific Islander, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Lafayette, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Mother, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia31407
    Participant
    I am black and so is my husband. We just recently had a daughter who is absolutely beautiful. But guess what? She doesn't look a thing like me - she looks just like her daddy! Even though you wouldn't know she's my daughter from just looking at her, I couldn't possibly love her more. There are no guarantees that children will be carbon copies of their parents no matter what the racial make up.

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia31407, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : SAHM, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SarahC28162
    Participant
    I don't see the problem of kids not looking like you -- while somewhat understandable, even when parents are of the same ethnic background, there is probably the same chance that the kids won't have the same facial features as you, as it would be if their parents were of differing ethnic backgrounds. I know and know of plenty of biracial people who look more like the white parent than the non-white parent.

User Detail :  

Name : SarahC28162, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : San Francisco area, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jennifer30902
    Participant
    My family is fairly racially mixed. I've got several cousins and nieces and nephews who are biracial - mostly white/hispanic/filipino. Some have features more like one ethnicity or the other, but they are all just members of our family. One of my uncles, who is white, married a hispanic woman. She has dark eyes, dark hair, and olive skin. Their 2 children are blond and blue, just like my uncle. They have some facial features from their mom, but their coloring and most of their features are definitely from their father. One of my other cousins, who is half white and half Filino is married to a hispanic man. They have 4 children. Two are fairly dark and look like their father, one is a combination, and one is practically a clone of her maternal grandmother who is white. Both of my parents are white, and I look very much like my mom's family and have almost no features from my father's side. My point is that family is family no matter what color they are and that you never know who the children will look like. Your grandchildren could be biracial and come out looking like you or they could be uniracial and come out looking nothing like you.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30902, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.