Is it legal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Danny27253
    Participant
    I am a 16-year-old homosexual male dating a man who is 25. I haven't told anyone, but it has come to my attention that this could be viewed as illegal. Is there any rule preventing me from being with him?

User Detail :  

Name : Danny27253, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 16, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 

Johnny29342
    Participant
    Have you told him you're only 16? If not, you need to. As for it coming to your attention 'that this could be viewed as illegal,' not only could it be viewed as illegal, it most definitely is illegal, if you guys have 'fooled around.' And regardless of who started the relationship, he would be the one to suffer the consequences, because the law looks at it as child molestation or rape whether he knows your age or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Johnny29342, Gender : M, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    If you are having any type of sex, then it is highly illegal. It would be considered having sex with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, if he is supplying you with alcohol and/or drugs. If you are just seeing him casually with no bodily contact of a sexual nature (I'm not talking a casual hug or a peck on the cheek), then it would not be considered illegal, although it would be possibly considered immoral by some.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Ben Lomand, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matthew
    Participant
    You are considered a minor and as such, your friend could be convicted of statutory rape. Think about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Age : 44, City : NYC, State : NY Country : United States, 

Mark Bentley
    Participant
    Danny, your partner is at great risk. Read the recent story of Pete Townsend? The age of consent is a very strict legal boundary for dating, and violating that boundary puts you both at risk. Frankly, I would be very wary of an adult who is willing to risk the wrath of the law to be with a minor.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark Bentley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : UFMCC - Cathedral of Hope, Age : 39, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Financial analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Steve27868
    Participant
    Depends on the law in your state. In NY, it's 17. You can look it up at your library (criminal Law-sex crimes). I've seen many of these relationships gay and straight. A few work out but most don't. Just be careful and good luck

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27868, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jason31254
    Participant
    I believe that according to statutory rape laws, your circumstance could be considered illegal because you are under the age of 18 and your partner is over 18. Depending on who you tell, they could have your partner arrested. I suggest you go with someone near your own age.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31254, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 21, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dougeebear
    Participant
    There is no rule preventing your being with him. There are laws forbidding sexual contact. In California the age of consent is 18 regardless of sexual orientation. Your boyfriend could be arrested and prosecuted for sexual misconduct with a minor. I have to question why a 25 year old would date a 16 year old - life experiences and interests would be very different. I invite you to look at his past relationships carefully... if they've all been with someone younger than him or with someone in their teens its possible he's attracted only to young men that age and will toss you aside when you get too old for him.

User Detail :  

Name : Dougeebear, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 40, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20663
    Participant
    Danny, when you say, 'could be viewed as illegal,' and ask if there is 'any 'rule' preventing you from being with him,' the answer is a resounding YES. Regardless of sexual orientation, an older individual having relations with an underage individual is not 'viewed' as illegal. It is blatantly illegal. The consequences for the underage partner are usually some version of 'naughty, naughty,' while the consequences for the older partner can destroy his or her life and career if the relationship comes to light -- even years in the future.

Strong emotional drives can overwhelm anyone. Whether the current laws are right or wrong is not the issue. Your responsibiliy is to recognize that they exist and think seriously about the potential damage to an older partner, even when she or he is willing to take that risk. Older people can be as idiotically irresponsible when it comes to love as anyone else, and sometimes make disastrous choices. If you seriously care about an older partner, please have the guts to make the extremely difficult decisions, even when the older partner won't.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20663, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 58, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chuck A.
    If your 'dating' involves sex with this gentleman, you may wish to maintain some discretion. Under California law, the age of consent for sexual relations is 18, and until you reach that age, your 25-year-old boyfriend could technically be charged with child molestation. Then again, the law would treat him the same if he were 19 and you were 17, which illustrates how inherently problematic 'age of consent' laws are. What if you were both 16? Consensual sexual activity between people your age is pretty common. What would they do, throw you both in jail? Emotional maturity and the ability to handle sexual activity occurs in different people at different ages; unfortunately, the law must be applied equally. So basically if you can't refrain from sex with your boyfriend until you are 18, you ought to be as discreet as possible. Also, if you wish to avoid HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, you may want to discuss medical screening for such things for both of you. And if you are both in the clear, monogamy and trust will help you avoid such things in the future.

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Spring Hill, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : AIDS Educator/Part-time radio announcer, 

Winston
    I am not a lawyer, so you might want to check this out. Under California's law Cal Pen Code § 261.5(c), your relationship might be problematic. Here is the code that is relevant: ' (c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.'

User Detail :  

Name : Winston, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Chapel Hill, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Law Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Hugh Brown
    The current age of consent in California is 18, which means your older friend may be committing statutory rape under California law. This, of course, only applies to actual sexual activity - but your friend is taking his chances.... Frankly, I'd be a bit suspicious of a 25 year old that was pursuing a sexual relationship with a 16 year old, straight, gay or whatever...

User Detail :  

Name : Hugh Brown, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Witheld
    Participant
    From the California Penal Code: 286. (a) Sodomy is sexual conduct consisting of contact between the penis of one person and the anus of another person. Any sexual penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the crime of sodomy. (b) (1) Except as provided in Section 288, any person who participates in an act of sodomy with another person who is under 18 years of age shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in a county jail for not more than one year. (2) Except as provided in Section 288, any person over the age of 21 years who participates in an act of sodomy with another person who is under 16 years of age shall be guilty of a felony.

User Detail :  

Name : Witheld, City : Witheld, State : NA Country : Argentina, 

Tom
    Participant
    Without full knowledge of California state law, your 25 year old boyfried could be subject to statutory rape. Check your local listings for a program in San Fran that addresses the needs of gay (and lesbian and bi and trans) youth. They can tell you ago of consent laws in your state. Usually 18 years of age. 'Age of consent' laws are, as the name suggests, laws at which age consenting partners can participate in sexual activities with each other without, in most cases, fear of prosecution. In many states in the US (and in many countries throughout the world), where same sex activity (M-M or F-F) is legal, there is a discrepency in age of consent laws. Age of consent is lower (say 16 or 18) for heterosexuals (or females) than it is for same sex couples (especially male-male partners). Some communities have 'Romeo-And-Juliet' laws, which makes some allow for cases when one partner is just above the age of consent and the other is still younger than the age of consent.. usually it is helpful to be able to prove that this couple were involved in a personal/sexual relationship prior to the senior partner having a birthday sending him (or her) above the age of consent. Usually, these laws apply only to heterosexual couples and not same-sex couples. Whether these laws should be leveled so that there is one, universal age of consent for all participants is another discussion. (I think, yes) Whether these laws should exist at all is yet another. (Mmmm, I'm not sure.)

User Detail :  

Name : Tom, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 50, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

mee-mee-yang
    Participant
    i always wanted a gay friend will you be mine

User Detail :  

Name : mee-mee-yang, City : china town, State : NA Country : China, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.