I wanna be white

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Nyla
    Participant
    Who says you cant be turned white?!!! Ask Micheal Jackson, he did it!

User Detail :  

Name : Nyla, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Willingboro, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

T. Grant
    Participant
    i feel that her question is valid. perhaps she feels the need to change her skin color the way others feel they need to change their sexual orienation. are you implying that those who feel they should have been the opposite gender are nuts as well?

User Detail :  

Name : T. Grant, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : State Worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Laurie
    That is so sad that you feel that way. Sometimes I don't want to be white because of all the b/s that white people have done over the years; none of which I'm personally guilty of. You have to love and accept yourself as you are. If you have mostly white friends, don't you think they love you the way you are? I promise, they wouldn't want your skin color to change. Have you ever thought of what a unique perspective on life you bring to them? Your race and culture affects your personality and probably makes you more interesting, fun and likable to them. I think the reason it's 'not okay' to want to change your race is because other black people are offended by it - seems an insult to them, like you think there's something wrong with being black. Be yourself, there's NOTHING wrong with that.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

cain19207
    Participant
    Maybe you had many past list as a white person

User Detail :  

Name : cain19207, City : TO, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Cory M.
    There are many skin bleaching products that have various possibilities of success if you're really interested in that. While in the Army I met a black guy with the same skin condition that Micheal Jackson supposedly has and he looked like he was always white. He only had a bit of brown left on his forehead that looked like a birth mark. Passing has been going on for a long while in this country, so you're just carrying on a tradition.

User Detail :  

Name : Cory M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 30, City : Lawton, State : OK Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jeff
    Participant
    You can feel like you should have been born white, but the concept of actually changing your race is quite difficult, if not impossible. There is no surgery available today that will allow you to change the DNA you have. You are who you are. Be proud of that.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 27, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Govt, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tali24820
    Participant
    Why do you want to be white? White men can't jump or dance.

User Detail :  

Name : Tali24820, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 18, City : NYC, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Factory Worker, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

JessTsab
    Participant
    Im a white female, and I feel like i should have been born asian. i've kinda adopted a saying... 'the only thing white about me is my skin' and it kinda puts things in perspective, if u think about it. if someone treats you bad bc of the way you act, tell them 'hey look, this is me, love it or leave it' Im married to an asian man, I drive an acura integra. I know how you feel, but please dont change, I like what the guy said earlier about God not making mistakes. You have a plan, and every detail about you, from your nose to your color will ultimatley play a role. Just think, maybe somewhere down the line, someone will relate to you (like I have), and you will make someone very happy to know they have people who understand. It made me happy to know that I wasnt the only person who felt this way. But you are you. Thats the beauty of it.

User Detail :  

Name : JessTsab, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Military Police, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adrian Petyt
    Participant
    I can tell you from first hand experience that there's nothing particularly great about being white. We get depressed, self-hating, hung-up and all the rest of it. I have a happy enough life, but I can't say it would be any different if I were some other colour or race. I can't imagine changing and I wouldn't ask anyone else to change to be like me. Say I suddenly decided to 'become' left-handed because so many talented and creative people were southpaws and I feel more affinity for Leonardo da Vinci than for my right-handed relatives. You'd think I was stupid, yes? I'd be better off developing my creative skills then trying to use my off-hand. Get on with what makes you happy. Be all you can be. You wouldn't automatically be any happier white.

User Detail :  

Name : Adrian Petyt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 36, City : Hong Kong, State : NA Country : China, Occupation : Drama/Writing teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wyn
    I'm betting your issues are related to black culture, not your physical appearance. Do you have interests or values that differ from main stream black culture? No matter what your physical appearance, feeling like you don't fit into your own culture is really annoying. When you have different ideas and tastes you get a lot of pressure to conform and people make very hurtful comments about what you ought to be doing or liking. I find it interesting that no blacks here have addressed the concept of "oreos" (someone who is black on the outside but has white cultural values). It's a hurtful, cruel way of trying to hamstring blacks into rejecting white culture. I also don't think there's anything wrong with you for feeling alienated by the culture you were born within. Culture is a series of choices; make your own and to heck with the norms. I remember longing to be Asian in my younger years. I admired many aspects of their culture and could identify more strongly with certain aspects of it than my own. Even today, I feel more European than American in my cultural preferences. Over all the idea of "race" is outdated colonial period crap. There are no races. What we call races are actually cultures. In the old days people could look at someone and say, "Oh, he's black so he must act like this." or "He's white so he must like this." and make guesses as to your preferences. That's not true anymore. Every US American is SO mixed ethnically that the entire concept is total bunk now.

User Detail :  

Name : Wyn, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Augusta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Vanessa M.
    It seems as if your conditioning as a child has warped your mind. Obviously you were reared in a predominantly white area and their culture became yours. Nothing wrong with that. BUT!!!! Not liking who you are is a shame and the procedure you are inquiring of, indicates you allow others to define you. So you dont like your race? I guess this would include your mother who gave you life and you other family memebers. Have you discussed this with THEM??!! I bet not. Because most likely, they will guide you to counseling. I am not bashing you and do not intend to offfend. I seriously think you need help...

User Detail :  

Name : Vanessa M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Bel Air, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eileen
    Participant
    There's a theory called 'Racial identity development' (Look for Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?' By Beverly Tatum) that proposes that white people and people of color go through different 'stages' at different times in terms of developing racial identity. Tatum says that one of the very common phases for people of color is to feel 'white.' I am mixed race and grew up in Hawaii: I think many of us there would have had the same feeling you do: that we were really white people born into these strange bodies and families and names. It's all part of growing up in an environment that is white-identified and white-privileged. Many of us do move into a different phase (anger, then self-segregation, then acceptance and integration) through maintaining positive contact with our own ethnic heritage and looking for role models who have done the same. It's a tough process. I notice you posted in '04: I wonder if you've changed at all in regards to this question. I hope so...there is more than one way to be Black (or Asian, Latino, white, etc).

User Detail :  

Name : Eileen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Olympia, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

AmyM
    Participant
    Black/white are not as clear cut biologically as gender is. Perhaps you need to look at what you think is holding you back: is it appearance? Many black people look white and vice versa. If this is a real question you should think about some counseling. Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.