Hebrew food vs. Jewish food

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Sandy
    I've never actually heard anyone say 'Hebrew' food. But Jewish food is appropriate. Hebrew is not really used to refer to jews anymore. But there is a difference between Jewish food and Israeli food.

User Detail :  

Name : Sandy, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, Age : 28, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Hillary
    I've never heard the term 'Hebrew Food' before. Foods that are traditional within in Jewish families I've always heard called Jewish food. This often overlaps with Middle Eastern/Medditeranean foods, like hummus, falafel, and so on that can be found throughout countries in the Middle East. Within Judaism there exist two major branches of Jews, the Sephardi (Mediteranean/Spanish) and Azkenazi (European) who have differing traditions and ways of preparing food. Sephardi and Azkenazi also follow kashrut/kosher (dietary) law differently. However, it should be mentioned that just because a food is kosher doesn't mean it is traditional Jewish food; for example, one can make kosher sushi but it is in no way traditionally Jewish.

User Detail :  

Name : Hillary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Tokyo, State : NA Country : Japan, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pamela
    Participant
    Ann, Hebrew is a language. The food that you ate was typical American Jewish food. There is Israeli food also, but that is similar to Middle Eastern type food. Jewish food is an expansive term because Jews are from so many different cultures. If you are a Sephardic Jew, for example, you may be from Italy or Morocco and eat foods that are typical from those areas. Eastern European food is the most common type of 'Jewish food' in the U.S., boiled and cured meats and hearty dishes that many of our Grandmothers made.

User Detail :  

Name : Pamela, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 35, City : Vienna, State : NA Country : Austria, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kate
    First of all, what you ate was Noodle Kugel (the sweet mac & cheese) and the coconut dessert was , I imagine, a macaroon. That food is culturally Jewish, generally coming from the Jews who imigrated to America from Eastern Europe/Russia. What I assume you mean by 'Hebrew' food is Israeli food, which is basically the same as most Middle Eastern food.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Joseph29112
    Participant
    The term you are looking for is 'kosher' food. In America, one can generally tell if something is kosher by finding (on the packaging) a symbol of one of the rabbinical/kosher supervisatory organizations. At an event, you can always ask a person in charge whether the food is kosher or not. I have no idea about Hadassah in particular, whether they always make sure to have kosher or not, but the few foods you listed all _can_ be kosher. There is another question on this site the answer to which discusses the source and the basics of kosher.

User Detail :  

Name : Joseph29112, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 27, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

yvonne
    I am not Jewish so somebody out there help me if I am wrong, but food bought in Kosher stores is under srtict rabbinical supervision. Hebrew is the religion of the Jewish people. People who are Jewish speak Hebrew. It's the same theory as people who are Hispanic speak Spanish, they are not spanish. Their eithnicity is Hispanic, Latina, or Latino. The food that you bought was from the Jewish people, maybe even a from a special region in Israel.

User Detail :  

Name : yvonne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : bleeding ulcers/hernia, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 46, City : Narrowsburg, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Arturo
    Participant
    Hebrew is only a language, not a country or a culture. Therefore, there is no Hebrew food. Food that is prepared according to Jewish laws is called Kosher. These laws describe, for example, which animals can be eaten for their meat and how they must be slaughtered, that only fish with scales are allowed, and that meat and dairy cannot be mixed at the same meal. What you consider 'Jewish food' represents the tastes primarily of the eastern european Jews who emigrated to the United States in the early and middle 20th century. A bagel and cream cheese, for example, would be considered by many New Yorkers to be a regional food, not necessarily a Jewish one. The sweet macaroni and cheese probably consisted of egg noodles, cottage or farmer cheese [not a melted hard cheese] and either cinnamon or sugar [or both]. This noodle pudding is known, phonetically, as luck-shun koogel in Yiddish. I don't know of an inherently Jewish coconut dessert, and I would hope that even in Evansville non-Jews enjoy tuna salad. You can find it at any Wesselman's, Pantry Foods or Schnuck's in town.

User Detail :  

Name : Arturo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 53, City : East Brunswick, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jay G
    Participant
    You just ate food. Jews have wandered for over 2000 years and therefore have the culinary customs of the host countries that allowed them to stay. What you think of as Jewish food (bagels lox etc)is Eastern European in origin and brought here by Jewish immigrants when fleeing oppressive regimes. Hebrew food is more middle eastern.Morrocan Jews eat much like the Muslims in North Africa.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay G, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 44, City : Montreal Canada, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Managerial, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Marie22248
    Participant
    I believe the correct word for this kind of food would be 'Koser'

User Detail :  

Name : Marie22248, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic computer artist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Inco-Gnito
    Participant
    Hebrews came from Eber, an ancestor of Abraham. Jews are from Juda, a son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of... Abraham. So Jewish are Hebrew too, like french people are european people too. Nowadays, the terms 'hebrew' and 'jewish' are used similarly. So I suppose that jewish food and hebrew food are the same food...

User Detail :  

Name : Inco-Gnito, City : Somewhere, State : NA Country : Someland, 

Paul30471
    Participant
    Hebrew is a language, not an ethnicity. In ancient times, Hebrews were the 'original' tribal Jews, but there are far too many ethnicities of Jews now for the Hebrew label to apply. 'Jewish' food is a misleading term for the same reasons- as long as the food is kashrut (kosher), it may be Chinese, middle eastern, Indian, Persian, French, Mexican or of any ethnic subgroups. There is a large number of traditional dishes that more or less qualify as 'Jewish' food, but it's really the kosher-ness of the food in question that makes it Jewish or not. If your food was at a Hadassah event, it was surely kosher and therefore Jewish enough.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul30471, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, 

Seamus
    Participant
    A little clarification is necessary I think. What do YOU mean by Hebrew food vs. Jewish food? To some, Hebrew and Jewish are synonymous, while to others the former refers to a languange and is a historic term, while the other refers to both a current culture and religion. If you are asking whether or not the food was Kosher is another issue entirely. Simply put Kosher food adheres to Kashrut or Kashrus, the code of Jewish law governing food preparation. This can get very involved very quickly. Some animals are considered 'traif' and cannot be Kosher, (swine, shellfish, catfish and so forth) while others can be Kosher, BUT not if they are not prepared according to Kashrus. Here are some online resources: http://www.oukosher.org/ http://www.ou.org/kosher/kosherqa/food.htm http://www.kashrut.com/ http://www.oukosher.org/

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : Richmond, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ron29643
    Participant
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I always thought 'Jewish' things were based on the religion, whereas 'Hebrew' was the language used, and perhaps one of the early ethnic groups making up the group known as Jews. I suspect Hebrew would be the more correct of the two. Describing a food as Jewish leads to Baptist food, Catholic food, Muslim food, etc. Next time you go there, try the Kosher ham sandwich. Yummie!

User Detail :  

Name : Ron29643, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 56, City : APO, State : NA Country : Forward Location, Occupation : Pilot Training, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chris
    I can only assure you that the food was kosher -- approved by a rabbi using a number of different measures. Jewish is a culture and religion and, to some (which I find odd), a race. Hebrew was the ancient language they used. The two are inextricably intertwined. My husband was raised Jewish and I was raised in a Catholic Polish family. My mom makes potato pancakes around the holidays. My mother-in-law makes 'latkes' -- exact same thing. Our families have origins in a similar area, the much disputed piece of land that sometimes belonged to poland and sometimes to russia. I've often noticed that the 'Jewish' or 'Hebrew' food is very much influenced by the region, rather than the religious/cultural/racial background of the Jewish people. Some of my family is Irish, but they generally make lasagna for holidays, but I suspect somebody in Ireland must have made a potato pancake or two. It just makes sense. So many darn potatoes.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 32, City : rockland, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Clerk, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MW
    Participant
    Primarily, there really is no such thing as 'Hebrew food' vs. 'Jewish Food'. Jews from many different parts of the world have combined what may be considered traditional Jewish cuisine with ethnic dishes. For example, what you bought at the fundraiser is an example of European Jewish food, and I believe the sweet macaroni dish is something called 'kugel', which is a traditional German/eastern european dish. There is an abundance of 'Jewish food' that is influenced by German, Italian, Russian, Middle Eastern, Spanish, etc. cuisine. For example, many Israeli staples (which might be what you meant by Hebrew food) are taken from middle eastern influences, such as falafel, schawarma, baba ghanoush, pita, etc. Hope this helps :).

User Detail :  

Name : MW, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.