Dumb and backward white folk?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jarrett31204
    Participant
    I'm not offended when black comedians take white people to task in their stand-up routines, because very often there's a kernel of truth somewhere in the joke, and you can learn from that. I grew up in an era and in an area of the country where I'd overhear people say things like, 'Why aren't there any white people on 'Soul Train'? We let black people on 'American Bandstand'!' so in my opinion some folks' attitudes cry out for parody. Speaking for myself, I find it hilarious when Dave Chappelle or Mark Curry do their 'white' voices.

User Detail :  

Name : Jarrett31204, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Durham, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
    Eddie Murphy and Dave Chapelle might joke about racism, but the fact is, they speak the truth.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michele
    Participant
    Because they're funny! I don't look at their humor as racist - just honest. Usually, I find myself relating to some of their stories. It bridges the gap and makes me understand other races more. When Chris Rock or John Leguizamo talk about how weird their mother is and I think to myself, 'Oh, that's totally MY mom!', it shows me that we're not so different after all. When my black best friend and I watch 'black' shows or comedians together, I ask her questions like, 'Do black people really believe that?' and we have deep, honest discussions. Just like when she watches shows like The Sopranos and asks me if it portrays Italians correctly. Keep an open mind.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Reservationist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Venicia
    I think white people who find black comedians amusing are either:
    A. Ignorant to race issues. B. Ignorant to the fact that they are racist. C. Are not racist, and think that racist white people are absurd. Therefore it is a great idea to laugh at the stupid racists.

I also wish to add that not all people are racist. Your own statement, 'how racist whites are to blacks' seems to lack the word 'some' . This makes your statement untrue, because all of a race of people cannot be said to have a personality trait (for lack of a better word) such as being a racist. Racists come in all shapes, sizes and colors, unfortunately.

User Detail :  

Name : Venicia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jahny
    C'mon, it's just a joke. Ethnic humor has become a norm. Of course it's funnier when they make fun of their own kind. If I said, 'A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar ... Ouch!' Oy!', does that mean the whole Judeo-Christian population is gonna send death threats to me?

User Detail :  

Name : Jahny, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 

SB
    I would have to posit that it is for the same reason that this website is successful, people want to understand more about other cultures, and doing so via a stand-up comedian is a very comfortable (and oftentimes enjoyable) way to do so. Our attitudes, which are often passed down from generation to generation become ingrained and require a conscious effort to remove or change. Listening to a stand-up comedian flatly tell white people, although in a humorous way, how our attitudes effect others helps us to become more sensitive and AWARE of negative attitudes. Although there is laughter, one can hope that there is also understanding.

User Detail :  

Name : SB, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Central, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Akintola
    Participant
    Well first, you're talking about two great comedians. Second, comedy is the only way to comfortably talk about race in America. Some of the truest words are spoken by comedians bc they don't have to worry about political correctness. At least that's why I think some white people can laugh at the jokes. Others are just laughing bc not laughing might be deemed racist. Everyone's so uptight. Gotta love this country!

User Detail :  

Name : Akintola, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Silver Spring, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

J-Fleming21266
    Participant
    I'll second the respondent who pointed out that Murphy's comedy cut lots of ways, but I'd like to point out that there are LOTS of black commedians that piss me off with naked anti-white racism in their acts. Martin Lawrence, for example. Chappelle says a lot of racist things too, but two things mitigate that: one, his anti-white rhetoric is the same anti-white rhetoric I hear from the average white sociology student, and two, he identifies his anti-white rhetoric as racist and thus involves his own racism in the joke. It's true that repeatedly focussing on white racism, even as white racism has dwindled to a handfull of klansmen in Tennesee and two skinheads in Boston, is taken to be racist at least in effect, but whites in general accept that it's not their place to engage in the kind of frank, honest discussion of race that others are allowed.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Fleming21266, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jamie
    Pointing out our faults is what stand up comedy is all about. We're laughing at our faults. All stand up comediens draw our attention to our own faults and joke about it, no matter what the subjectmatter.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Torbay, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Larry
    I like Dave Chapelle cause he's funnier'n hell. I don't find him racist. What I find as racist is if you had a white guy on stage doing a routine about black people there would be riots in the streets and the black community would be screaming 'RACISM' and all hell would break loose. That's what is racist about it. There is a major double standard today in what is acceptable speech. Blacks and other minorities can say anything they want in a racist fashion but let anyone in the white community try that kind of bit and there is hell to pay.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 55, City : Amarillo, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David-Humpal
    Participant
    Hi Eddie Murphy:I got a thought about an hour ago about presenting an invention idea to you.I'll only ask 5,000 down and put you on for 70% royalties.I think KMart Corp will handle it.I dreamed about you about 2 years ago handling some business to help me with getting a start for something in Stand Up Comedy.The dream was you driving an SUV with the door on the drivers side open and slow.I was hanging on the drivers side with my feet on the ledge.You were ignoring me.I had a sense though that you had a heart to help me and just wanted to be cool about it and say:Listen Dave you da beggar fool.Just hang yo no getting around ass on my door. I don't have anyone to see about a run here to bring me to where is comfortable for you.Could you send a Federal Agent at 12 noon I'm feeling on the 5th street side of this Central library downtown Los Angeles.I think you will be very happy getting an extra income for your family.Note:This is a God move.I have no patent pending Cause the Nigga ain't got no greenback.I love you too! Dave the Safe man in Psychic base and no hocus pocus bullshit.I am light complexioned with a blue jean jacket with Detroit ID DAVID HUMPAL.

User Detail :  

Name : David-Humpal, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.