Dumb and backward white folk?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Seymour
    Participant
    Why is it that so many whites love black comedians like Eddie Murphy and Dave Chapelle, despite the fact that much of their stand-up routines addresse how racist whites are to blacks?

User Detail :  

Name : Seymour, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jennifer31037
    Participant
    Perhaps whites who like Eddie Murphy and Dave Chapelle are not racist, so they don't take the jokes about racist white people personally.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer31037, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carter32386
    Participant
    Go and watch some of Eddie's skits on Saturday Night Live (for example, where he goes undercover as a white man, the 'Images' poem, etc.) and in addition to Eddie calling out white folks' prejudices, you'll see he actually provides some satire on how prejudiced many black people are. If you haven't caught this, I'd say you should go rent the old SNL's available on VHS and look a little critically at what he's pointing at. Like all great comedians, it's his ability to cut to the marrow of truth that makes his comedy so incredible.

User Detail :  

Name : Carter32386, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Jenny
    Participant
    First of all, I like to watch them because they are funny. Secondly, even though I am white, I have never and would never act in a racist way toward anyone else. So when they joke about whites being racist, I don't take it personally.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Health Care, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Elsa-Maria
    Participant
    Did you ever stop to consider that not all white people are racists? Most of us white folks hate racists (of all colors) just as much as you do. I don´t see the jokes of black comedians being targeted against me, because I don´t treat people differently according to skin color.

User Detail :  

Name : Elsa-Maria, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 19, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Bert
    Well, you see, not all of us are racist, and most of us notice when other whites are racist to other races. These comedians are not accusing all white people of being racist, just the ones that are. It has to be a good thing that these comedians are talking and that people of all races are listening. That is how we progress as a species.

User Detail :  

Name : Bert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 31, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Thomas24781
    Participant
    It doesn't take a genius to know the answer to this question. They're funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas24781, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 34, City : South Orange, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus28241
    Participant
    White Americans just have a great sense of humor. This is a result of their rather privileged status in history and a bit of rebellion against it, but it's also because of the working-class Anglo mores that are quite apparent in American culture. It's a culture that loves to poke fun at itself with all the irony it can muster. I spend a lot of time in Great Britain, and it's certainly very apparent there. However, I think white jokes are getting tired. Not because of subject matter, but because of application. It hasn't moved really far since Richard Pryor was cracking up my mom with those bits. Occasionally a comedian does it well, but nine others just go through the motions of a bad parody.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28241, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Construction, Social class : Lower class, 

Nic W.
    Participant
    ...because it's true.

User Detail :  

Name : Nic W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Shanghai, State : NA Country : China, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Christina32058
    Participant
    It's because if we say anything even slightly racist, we're automatically a KKK member. You, however, can go on as long as you guys want, and we have to just shrug it off because of what a minority of dead white guys did in the past.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32058, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Using comedy to address pain and wounds is often the best way to heal. I am white, but I'm not racist, so I like any comedian who makes fun of racist people - white, black, green or purple - because racism is so asinine and ignorant. The more we make fun of it, the less power racism has, and it will continue to lose strength. The way I see it, these comedians are not so much saying all whites are racist as they are making fun of those who are. It would make me really happy to see a comedian make fun of all racist people, of all ethnicities, but I suppose we haven't gotten that far yet.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mitchell M.
    Participant
    I am white and like comedians like Eddie Murphy and Dave Chapelle. I consider myself a non-racist, so when I hear a joke about white racists, I am not personally insulted. I also like to make fun of white racists. Many white racists don't realize they are racist, they are in major reality denial or have isolated themselves so well so as to never have contact with African Americans. Another factor perhaps is that those white racists don't watch African-American entertainers.

User Detail :  

Name : Mitchell M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dayna-B
    Participant
    I suppose when seen from your viewpoint, it's easy to wonder why whites would find those comedians funny. The parts of their routines that you view as being about how whites are racist toward blacks, most people just see as being about how racists (who might happen to be white) are. Not all whites are racist, and not all blacks are non-racist. Those of us who aren't find those who are quite ridiculous. Funny is funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Dayna-B, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Alpharetta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Fiona21797
    Participant
    this has bothered me too. i think it's partly that they genuinely appreciate the talent of the comedians and partly that by showing that they understand how their own race tends to mistreat blacks, they subconciously hope to show that they're somehow 'different' and don't have those biases. p.s. is it necessary to utilize such a hateful title? ('dumb and backward white folk') not all of us are racists, you know.

User Detail :  

Name : Fiona21797, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 16, City : Milford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Taz27444
    Participant
    If you tell me a joke and it's funny, I laugh. If I tell you a joke and it's funny, you laugh. One of the greatest things in life, is the ability to laugh at yourself and see the genuine humor in things. For example, Chris Rock does a whole bit on the 'N-word'. Many blacks found the routine funny because it was in fact funny. If a black comedian tells a white redneck joke, and I think it's funny, why shouldn't I laugh? Our society has crossed into the era where a lot of people are now feeling offended on behalf of someone else. We need to lighten up people. Going through life upset and angry all the time isn't healthy. We need to take a step back, look at the bigger picture, and see the humor in life's little quirks.

User Detail :  

Name : Taz27444, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.