Do deaf people scream when frustrated?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    I have worked with deaf children doing volunter work, and I have worked with the public before in customer service. Some of my customers have been deaf. In my experiences I have come to know that deaf people can yell or scream, and in some instances even talk. They can't hear you, but they do have vocal cords that work. But it depends on the person as to whether they yell when frustrated. Just like anyone else. It's personality. Hope I could help!

User Detail :  

Name : Virginia D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 23, City : Tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kristina
    My parents are deaf, and I've been around deaf people my entire life. Some are quiet, by choice. Others - most, actually - don't care what they sound like, and are very expressive vocally. They may sound strange to some because they can't hear themselves and often sound too loud, or their words are slurred or muffled. Some can speak quite clearly (think of actress Marlee Matlin). Most are middle of the road and hard to understand by those who don't know them.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I was born deaf, and although I don't personally scream when frustrated, I had a deaf special needs roommate who did. Man, what a howler! Really, it's just a personal quirk for some people. There are people (deaf or otherwise) who use "scream therapy" to help them calm down, and others who don't.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Ray30068
    Participant
    It depends on the person. Deaf people are no different than hearing people. Some deaf people scream when frustrated. Others deal with the frustration in other ways. I tend to internalize it so as not to bother other people. The answer may also depend on where I am at the time. I certainly will not scream if I get frustrated at work. If I am home, I may complain or otherwise verbalize my frustration.

User Detail :  

Name : Ray30068, Gender : M, Disability : Deaf, City : Bettendorf, State : IA Country : United States, 

Kathy26657
    Participant
    I'm studying American Sign Language and have interacted with a decent amount of deaf people, from little children to senior citizens. Some were born deaf, others lost their hearing from various illnesses. Nearly all have some speech, like one teen boy I met who was born deaf but could still speak a little. When deaf people are frustrated, they'll groan or mutter like hearing people would.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy26657, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stephen M.
    Participant
    Yes, deaf people have a "voice box" in their throat. They can make sounds perfectly or awfully. So it is possible to say we, deaf people, scream when frustrated in any way. We are human beings, nothing more or less.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephen M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Clark, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dani
    Participant
    I went to school at a university that shared a campus and housing with a school for the deaf. At my campus job, I had to communicate with many deaf people. Most of the time, we would write down what we wanted to say on a piece of paper.I have also worked with a deaf person at work. The woman I knew personally could read lips and hear a little bit. A lot of deaf people can hear a little bit, but not enough to make out speech for example. I have seen deaf people using sound to communicate, especially when trying to communicate with a hearing person. Also the dorm that was set up for deaf people was quite loud. I asked the woman at work why they play their music so loud and she said they could feel the sound (probably the bass). Your cat doesn't know sign language and can't write, so I think it is probably trying to communicate with you the only way it knows how.

User Detail :  

Name : Dani, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 27, City : Boise, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard31981
    Participant
    Ezzie With all the baggage in your profile, as you seem so proudly to list, I would think that a more appropriate question for you to ask is, 'Do people like ME scream when frustrated.' I bet you do!

User Detail :  

Name : Richard31981, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Marilu30941
    Participant
    Crying is instinctive behavior in cats, and your deaf cat probably cries all the time because he cannot hear himself. However, Deaf people learn social behaviors the same way that hearing people do, from other people. Thus, both deaf and hearing people may scream when frustrated as this is normal human behavior. Deaf people may scream at inappropriate moments if they are not aware of the auditory environment, or to get attention.

User Detail :  

Name : Marilu30941, City : Hayward, State : CA Country : United States, 

Dan
    Participant
    I also had a deaf cat for a while. He liked to bash the empty water cooler bottles. Very loud! He also liked to sit behind the left side of the upright piano to feel the notes. Now I also had a deaf friend when I was about 2-10 years old. She also liked to sit right next to the piano. She did talk in kind of a crying way, and bit loudly. It was a bit like a strong foreign accent. She did scream when frustrated but no more than a foreign person would, or a nondeaf person would.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Christy
    Participant
    I hope you will have the kitten checked out by a vet, just to make sure he's okay.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, City : SE, State : MI Country : United States, 

BenQ
    Participant
    I myself am not deaf but I have a cousin who is deaf, a mother who is deaf, and a father who is deaf. My mother and cousin seem to scream anytime they're frustrated however my father seems to just try and figure out why he's frustrated so in conclusion...YES! Deaf people will sometimes scream when frustrated it mainly depends on the person.

User Detail :  

Name : BenQ, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Disability : Blind, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Toledo, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.