Do deaf people scream when frustrated?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Ezzie
    Participant
    We recently acquired a deaf cat and he cries all the time, even louder when frustrated. It made me wonder if deaf people scream, too, when they are frustrated.

User Detail :  

Name : Ezzie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 52, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Instructor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chattydo
    Participant
    In my experience, those that are deaf, but have speech - do. Those reliant on sign language as their primary language actually raise their arms higher and/or over their head when signing in anger. So with sign... it's the height that kicks in.

User Detail :  

Name : Chattydo, City : Calabasas,, State : CA Country : United States, 

Tabitha
    Participant
    I work at a pet store and I can say that deaf people have their own form of communication that works for them, as well as a better understanding of their situation thanks to modern technology and books. Cats, and other animals, do not have it made as easily as we do. Your deaf cat has no one with whom they can successfully communicate with besides you, his owner. Because he has no use of arms to get your attention and does not understand why he cannot hear, he chooses to cry aloud. That communication is the only that he has noticed that you are reacting to, so he knows that it works. I know of two people that are deaf and barely speak aloud because they do not have to. They are able to communicate with sign language and on pen and paper to me if I don't understand their 'speech'. Your cat is yowling because he knows it is causing a reaction from you, but also because he has no idea that it even makes noise. A deaf person understands their deafness while a cat does not. I would be frustrated too if I couldn't hear but would never be able to understand why.

User Detail :  

Name : Tabitha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Vietnamese, Age : 25, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joyce White
    Participant
    Deaf people make sounds. How closely those sounds approximate a spoken language depend on the age and extent of hearing loss, how much training the person has had, etc. Gallaudet University, the nation's only liberal arts college for the deaf and hearing-impaired, is a surprisingly noisy place. Deaf people can also 'scream' in sign language.

User Detail :  

Name : Joyce White, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : American Indian, Religion : Native American, Age : 55, City : Erie, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Steve Howard
    Participant
    Yes, what and how depends on how old they were when they lost their hearing.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve Howard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : liberal, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 53, City : Elgin, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Celi W
    Participant
    I work with a young lady who is not actually deaf but has a brain processing disorder which means that words she hears are not processed by her brain until several hours later and then she will answer a question but when she is scared or frustrated she will scream out loudly at the moment of the scare or frustration. Screaming is a reaction, not a thought out or chosen behavior.

User Detail :  

Name : Celi W, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 62, City : Galax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    Deaf or partially deaf people 'scream' unknowingly simply because they are trying to hear themselves, mind you it sounds perfectly normal to them, in their mind.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Ellen-M25327
    Participant
    Don't know about that, but the hard of hearing sometimes feel like it, just like hearing people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Ellen-M25327, Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 52, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Hospital Billing/Fiscal Tech, Education level : High School Diploma, 

linda22692
    Participant
    I don't actually know about someone who is deaf, I have a child who is Non-Verbal(Autistic) and cries alot. I think it must be frustrating to the cat and my son. Maybe the cat is afraid that it can't hear what's happening and that it is not in control of situation's. Maybe it hear's ringing or has ear pain also. I often wonder if my child has pain and can't communicate it so he cries. It is a form of communication. Good Luck.

User Detail :  

Name : linda22692, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : rochester, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Mother/Sales, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

BeBe
    Participant
    I would say they could. I know some people that are deaf. They have vocal cards that work and can make sounds.

User Detail :  

Name : BeBe, Gender : F, Age : 23, City : Eglin, State : FL Country : United States, 

Christy
    Participant
    I'm a 22-year-old deaf education/American Sign Language interpretation major. I've been involved with sign language and deaf people since I was about 14. Being so involved in deaf culture has let me see how deaf people react to different situations, including news of joy and sadness. Deaf people react the same way to situations that hearing people do. Obviously when you receive horrible/fantastic news, you're more prone to make noises (such as shouting 'Yes!' or moaning in disbelief or in frustration). It's the same way for deaf people, except that they do not always know that they've made those noises.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : american, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : starving college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mike25230
    Participant
    sometimes, yeah. i've known a few deaf people, and sometimes, when they have been excited or angry, they have made loud noises without knowing it. ever gone to a club with loud music, and had someone tell you you were talking too loud the day after?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike25230, City : SanFernando, State : CA Country : United States, 

Sarah28395
    Participant
    Deaf people do not scream when they are frustrated. No more than you or I do as people who can hear. Remember that a deaf person (depending on the amount of hearing loss they have) cannot monitor the loudness of their voice the way you and I do. Profoundly deaf people can learn what loudness 'feels' like and can monitor their voices, but obviously not with the ease hearing people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah28395, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, 

ED25560
    Participant
    My sister lost her hearing at a very young (pre-speech) age. When we were children, when she was in a room by herself, she would "utter" quite spontaneously, and yes, the volume did elevate with excitement. On the other hand, don't most hearing people "utter" and get louder when frustrated?

User Detail :  

Name : ED25560, Gender : M, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

Robert B.
    I teach at a school for the deaf. Not all deaf people are mute. Often someone without hearing has well-developed vocal cords, and they use them as frequently as anyone else. Agitation, excitement, pleasure, pain and frustration are often expressed vocally.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 54, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.