Dating different races or cultures

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

PaintedBird19845
    Participant
    I've been married for 15 years to a woman from the Middle East. Everything Tom said is true. In addition, there will be plenty of interesting issues with the in-laws. But it's really a question of how much you have in common, and how much you seek and can embrace difference. That should be what you consider: is the person just curious about you because you're 'different,' or are they interested in you as an individual? In our case, I never sought such a relationship. I met a woman I was strongly attracted to, she felt the same for me, and everything else was incidental. Not trivial, but not essential to the relationship. We call it a 'marriage of inconvenience.' I think it's closed-minded to rule anything out. But it's always worth it to consider motives.

User Detail :  

Name : PaintedBird19845, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 48, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

JP29164
    Participant
    First of all, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, and potentially a lot to learn. There's an important difference between race and culture, however. They are separate things, even though they're often connected. I think crossing cultures in dating is more challenging (and therefore more rewarding if you get it right), as values and expectations won't match up as you might expect them to. The important thing (as with any relationship, really) is respect for your partner. Besides, children of parents with diverse backgrounds are super-cute.

User Detail :  

Name : JP29164, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Kingston, State : NA Country : Jamaica, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Shenandoah27971
    Participant
    Love knows no language or barriers! Anyone is free to love anyone else in my eyes. My boyfriend is from El Salvador and doesn't speak fluent english so yeah, two different cultures can get along just fine.

User Detail :  

Name : Shenandoah27971, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, 

Raquel
    I have dated people of different races or ethnicities but that was not my reason to date them. I chose to date these people because as an individual I felt I was compatible with them because of similar interests, etc. I do not feel it is wrong at all. If you like a person their race should not even matter to you if it is because you like the individual.

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Gary, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary/ College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Christina
    Participant
    As a product of interracial love I think it's perfectly fine :) Then again, I am very biased.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : half korean/white, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Betty
    It's all a matter of preference, I say. I don't really see cultural differences as grounds for problems in the relationship later on and I believe that you can raise children in a multi-cultural household without any problems. Scientifically speaking, children of mixed races tend to be more attractive-looking, so it can be inferred that dating outside of one's own race or ethnicity would be 'right'.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kathy
    It is perfectly fine to date anyone you chose. I am a mixed race person and damn proud of it. I've also recently become engaged to a wonderful man whose is a completely different race and it's great. Our skin color is not the only difference though. He is a Muslim and I don't believe in religion period. But we manage to get along just fine. We're both very openminded people. And when he gets back from Iraq and we wed, we're gonna pop out some Native American-European-African, but all round American children, who I'm sure will be absolutely gorgeous (like me). And anyone who thinks that is wrong can kiss my a**.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native-Euro Mix, Religion : I don't need religion!, Age : 24, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.