Can a gay turn straight? And back?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Keith
    Speaking as a gay man, I definitely do not think one's sexual orientation can change. I really believe that sexual orientation is 'hard wired' and people that have gone through 'conversion therapy' still have that attraction to the same sex whether they want to acknowledge it or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Keith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 45, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jill30672
    Participant
    I agree with the first two posts, that he is not going to 'turn' straight. Think of sexual orientation like a religion. If you truly believe in Hinduism but you decide to start practicing Christianity, you can go through all the motions but deep down you know what you really believe. It's not going to change because you want it to. Best wishes to you on this!

User Detail :  

Name : Jill30672, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 18, City : Central, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Glorified Secretary & Peer Mentor, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff
    Participant
    I wholeheartedly believe that we are gay or straight from birth. Having said that, I also know from first-hand experience that it's not at all unusual for men to 'cross over' and try what's on the other side of the fence. It's not so much who we have sex with that makes us gay or straight or bi. It's where our emotional attractions and desires lead us that are the most powerful designators. And for the record, any 'formerly gay' man who tells you he's been 'cured' by whatever means is simply in denial. He may choose not to act on his natural desires. He may be capable of having a sexual relationship with a woman. But he is still a gay man.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : Scottsdale, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Technical Training, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

BEN23351
    Participant
    As I gay man I must say to you that a person cannot change their sexuality. This man may be bisexual or he may indeed be completely gay, but he can never change to being a 100% heterosexual. Could you DECIDE to be a Lesbian?His honesty shows he cares for you, but to me it reveals his desperate desire to conform to the traditional notion of a 'normal' life. It is a powerfull fear to know you are different and then to realize that all whom you love and care for may not accept you. The fear of outright rejection and hatred from those you love can force many gay people to try and deny the truth about themselves. Gay people entering into heterosexual relationships has been happening since the dawn of time. Be grateful this man has been honest and revealed this part of himself to you. But for your sake, as well as his, decline his offer of marriage. Support him and please be kind, but marriage is too important. Right now, he needs a good friend, not a wife.

User Detail :  

Name : BEN23351, Gender : M, City : ORLANDO, State : FL Country : United States, 

Lucy
    Participant
    Emphatically yes! Society would love you to believe that 'once 'gay' always 'gay', but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Ask John and Anne Paulk who wrote Love Won Out. Ask the individuals at Exodus International. God has got to change homosexuals. No man or woman can do this. I'm not saying its easy. I'm saying its possible.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Key West, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rich
    Please be very, very careful! Some gay men say this (and even believe it) because there's so much pressure to be straight, get married, have children, etc. But if he's really gay, getting married or even a serious relationship could be disastrous for both of you. Even an otherwise decent, honest man, may find himself lying to you about having sex with men if he's pressured by family, trying to hold together a marriage, or keep a well-paying job. This could lead to heartbreak, STD's or HIV. Many women worldwide have been infected with HIV by men who have sex with other men but feel pressured to lie about it. Gay men who feel bad about themselves tend to be less careful about condoms and safe sex, too. Please educate yourself about these issues and talk to him about them. Show support, and try to get him to be as honest as possible with you.

User Detail :  

Name : Rich, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 46, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brian
    has the same last name as the female who posted this? It could just be me... or the guy's trying to stick up for himself or convince himself he can change.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : ADHD (According to the marines, its a disability), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 18, City : Minnetrista, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Ice Cream Scooper (part time), Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane
    I believe that sexual orientation is not something that is chosen. Whether you act on your orientation, whether straight or gay, is a matter of choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane, City : Greeneville, State : TN Country : United States, 

George28925
    Participant
    I've heard of this kind of trash before. He is bisexual and/or an actor. The power of love is non-existent. We are too much of idealists. We watch too many movies. It's euphoria spawned from the need to be happy. I've been unhappy being gay for many different reasons, but I will never let go of it. I can't! Your friend or partner will get bored and drop his fake, preternatural 'straightness.' Trust me. I've met so many faggots who tell me they've been in love with a girl, but the only reason they say and believe in these things is that they are so pathetically sad. Saying and believing something like being in love with a girl is something to prove to others 'I'm not that gay after all!' So, be careful...your gay man will never change. Watch 'Kissing Jessica Stein,' a film about pseudo-lesbians, it's the perfect example of what I'm talking about. I've known straight men who are so bored and sad in their married lives (especially mid-life crisis kind of guys) that they like to test the 'gay waters.' Nonetheless, they always go back to their old ways. Always. And, they always tend to go for the really fem guys because they don't like to stray too far from their natural ways. Sexuality is not that flexible. Experimenting is.

User Detail :  

Name : George28925, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 24, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Zac-C19523
    Participant
    No. A man cannot change their sexual orientation, despite popular belief of religious groups. The guy in question I'd assume is bisexual, so his tastes may simply fluctuate.

User Detail :  

Name : Zac-C19523, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, City : Revelstoke, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Todd28938
    Participant
    If your gay, tahn shut up and be gay, but don't go around the mall holding hands! That is disguisting for any little kid to see, and wrong!

User Detail :  

Name : Todd28938, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Other Pacific Islander, Religion : Native American, Age : 18, City : Santa Monica, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : CIA, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    no more so than you turning lesbian. He's probably bi-sexual rather than gay. If he was all gay, he wouldn't be giving you the time of day. Some groups claim they can make you straight, but they're religious and evidently the ppl are in conflict about their being gay and the fact that their religion tells them it's wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

Brendan M.
    Participant
    No. Sexual orientation is fixed and is probably determined before birth, but some people try to change it anyway. There is a chance that your friend is bisexual and doesn't/didn't know it, but I would be very cautious. He is probably gay, always has been, and always will be.

User Detail :  

Name : Brendan M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Hilary
    Participant
    I have many gay and bisexual friends, one of which is indecisive about his orientation. He was straight, then bisexual, and is now gay. He began dating another guy when he decided he was bisexual, and after a while of being with him, he decided that he was gay. I do not think this has to do with genetic makeup, I think it had to do with being in the company of a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend, so that's what he became used to and more comfortable with a guy. I think it could have gone the other way too, and I think this is what's happening in your case.

User Detail :  

Name : Hilary, Gender : F, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.