Against dating outside race

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

T.
    Participant
    You are correct in stating that this is your belief. No one expects for all people to accept what others believe. You seem to be an open minded person and you do not try to force your beliefs on anyone else.

User Detail :  

Name : T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : eason, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

james20888
    Participant
    if u are dating a black man then, sure it can be considered an inter-racial relationship. but considering the fact that ure italian and dating an arabian man , then i would not consider it an inter racial relationship. arabians by race are caucasians.its not a different race. my girlfriend is arabian and before meeting her i couldnt figure out whether she was an italian or arabian

User Detail :  

Name : james20888, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

holly
    Participant
    I do not believe it is wrong for you to have your own opinion about who you want to date. You said that you don't look down on anyone else who does date outside their race, you just prefer not to. It is the same as if you preferred not to date men shorter than you or with blonde hair. It does not mean that you dislike these men, just that you would not choose to be in a romantic relationship with them. Dating is a very personal thing and you should be able to choose who you will and will not date without being in fear of being called a racist.

User Detail :  

Name : holly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, City : birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shawn
    Participant
    I feel that if you wish to stay within your own race then there is nothing wrong with that, it is all about preferences. Now if your parents instilled that thinking into you then perhaps you should broaden your horizons because at the end of the day we are all truly one race...human!

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Doesn't matter!!!, Religion : Methodist, Age : 29, City : Naperville, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Social class : Middle class, 
    If you found a man who was good to you, treated you with love, and consideration, your daughter will never be confused about how a man should treat her. If that man happens to be of another race, how would she be confused?

User Detail :  

Name : Kristan Hall, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 32, City : Lampasas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Joe Carter
    Participant
    I am assuming that before you had your daughter you had no problems with dating outside your race. My suggestion would be to ask your daughter if she would be confused by your dating a man of another race. I'm guessing your daughter will be confused about a lot of things in her lifetime and it is up to you as her mother to guide her and show her 'right' from 'wrong.'

User Detail :  

Name : Joe Carter, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Americorps Member, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Valerie
    It's very sad that you could and would keep yourself from finding an interest in someone because of the pigmentation of their skin. Is there really a difference in how a person loves due to their skin being a few shades darker than yours or anothers you might date? You may want to be more open minded. Love truly is blind. What if the black or arab man you pass up is the one to bring you and your daughter the love, support, and happiness you both deserve?

User Detail :  

Name : Valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Seabrook, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : house wife, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Tonya
    First of all, you are Irish and Italian, that is interracial dating between your parents. That doesn't seem to confuse your daughter, but I think that you are talking about visual differences. Don't feel guilty, but you should be able to explain people's differences to your daughter.

User Detail :  

Name : Tonya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mark
    Participant
    If thats YOUR preference and you dont try to push your preferences onto others, then there is no problem. Its when people with those kind of views try to make others bend to thier will that the problems start. The other issue is that why do you think it would confuse your daughter to see you with someone of another race? She will undoubtedly know that the white person you are with isnt her biological father, so what difference would it make to her that her step father is white or otherwise? In fact, seeing you loving a different ethnicity might broaden her views on race.... But your preference is your preference.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Mt Clemens, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Paramedic, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamal21076
    Participant
    To each their own.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamal21076, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, 

DJ
    Participant
    What kind of confusion are you afraid that your daughter will suffer? Let me tell you about my first bout with color confusion. I was five, and when I asked a little girl why she was being mean to me, she gave me a simple, candid answer: 'Because I'm white, and you're black.' Until that day, I didn't even know that people hated other people just because of their color. Not only was my heart broken; at that moment, I realized that everything I knew about life was wrong. That's a heavy trip to lay on a five year-old boy. Even to this day, thinking about what that little girl said to me gives my heart a dull ache; although my heart healed long ago, the scar may be there for as long as I live. If you feel in your heart that you would be most comfortable dating only white men, then go ahead and follow your heart. As you are the product of a multi-ethnic union, I suppose that you are well-informed about the difficulties that can sometimes arise when someone falls in love with someone from a different background. But I do urge you to consider that there are more important criteria than color if you are looking for a companion. That he is a good man who is kind to you and your daughter-- that is paramount. Everything else is just gravy. Confusion is not necessarily a bad thing for a small child; more often than not, for them confusion is simply a prelude to learning. Don't underestimate your girl's mind; little children understand a lot more than adults give them credit for. That's what concerns me: is it possible that your decision to refuse to associate with certain people because of their color will be so well understood by her, that she becomes that little girl from my childhood? I hope that the idea of recreating that little girl is as unsettling to you as it is to me. I wish you the best, and I hope that you raise your daughter to love, and not to hate.

User Detail :  

Name : DJ, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, 

Pat Rice
    Participant
    Do you sister. Do what you feel. People are allowed they're own prejudices. It's when you try to put them on someone else that the problem occurs, I think. I say do you, but be careful if your future children want to date outside their heritage that you're accepting.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat Rice, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : College Park, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/ student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Clotilde31974
    Participant
    If you don't want to do it, then don't. But how might it confuse your daughter? I don't understand.

User Detail :  

Name : Clotilde31974, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : College Professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Michele
    Participant
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I honestly believe you are using your daughter as an excuse for why it is ok to be racist. Because that is what you are displaying, is racist jargon. Were you confused because of your Irish/Italian heritage? Not only are they different races, but also different nationalities. You probably don't consider yourself multi-ethnic but you are. Just because both of your parents' skin colors are white doesn't mean that you are not the product of a 'mixing of the races.' By you denying this, you are saying that as long as those of European descent mix, then it's ok. Are we not all humans? It isn't like we want to breed or have relationships with other species. If anything, don't you think that your racist attitude could 'confuse' your daughter as well convey your predjudice to her? Speaking from experience of being the product of an interracial marriage, I can't say that I could have been raised in a family with more love and acceptance in it. In fact, it is my opinion that being in a family with differing ethnic/racial backgrounds has made me appreciate diversity and be a more accepting person. So, if your going to maintain your racist views, then fine. But do us the common courtesy of admitting to it instead of using your daughter as a mask.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Waterloo, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chuck D
    I think if you have a understanding of whats going on in your life it will transfer over if your confused about what your doing she will be confused because your not in a position to create an atmosphere of understanding for her, I dont think your problem is your daughter the problem lies with you and you need to get your mind right, do you think that jesus would have an attitude toward people like that , maybe he would say i wont help any blacks cause whites wouldnt understand , why im helping them, how rediculous does that sound. you cant disassocitat your self with someone based on the fact that your daughter or anyone else wouldnt understand thats a cop out and sounds like you have some issues you need to take to god or your therapist and work out

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.