A tall order…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Rick
    Why do women so strongly prefer tall men? Practically every personal ad specifies that they want someone tall, even women who aren't even 5 feet tall! I realize women like to feel protected, but tallness is no indication of fitness.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 39, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Simon27998
    Participant
    There are many simple reasons women prefer taller men. First, it's the old animal instinct; they want a man to look up to physically. Second, they would be able to walk along the road with a man who does not look like one of their children. Third, short men are so full of insecurities they spend most of their time trying to 'prove themselves' instead of just being themselves. Get the point?

User Detail :  

Name : Simon27998, Gender : M, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

SR28433
    Participant
    Being around short men sometimes makes me feel a bit clunky, awkward and manly - the opposite of how I want to feel as a girl/woman.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28433, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Ify21370
    Participant
    I am a tall girl and would never date anyone more than two inches shorter than me. I feel very protected and comfortable with a tall man, and I am always afraid people would laugh at me if I were to be seen hanging around with a short guy.

User Detail :  

Name : Ify21370, Gender : F, Age : 23, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Kelly26562
    Participant
    I'm married to an over 6-footer and I'm barely 5 foot. I LOVE short guys; they make me feel tall and sexy. And the short guys have always seemed so much sexier than the tall guys I've dated. But tall guys seem to love me. They want to protect me, and maybe marriage is more about feeling protected? And feeling protected is more important than being protected.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly26562, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Software Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

debbie
    Participant
    I love taller men because I like to look up to my man, I love when he holds my hand walking down the street, I feel so protected and sexy. I'm 5'6 and I like men 6'1 and up. Tall men just looks better.

User Detail :  

Name : debbie, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 35, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : professional, 
    Well, it's not so much that women like tall men, but most women prefer men taller than they are. This includes when their in their high heels and clogs. So, being that average height is somewhere way over 5 feet, and most women are average and a bit over in heels, a man must be at least 10 inches over this to meet these requirements. It's just that it's more difficult to feel that sense of security from a man shorter than you are. However, nothing's wrong with short men. You just have to find someone alot shorter than you are.

User Detail :  

Name : Latronica Madison, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Baton Rouge, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rita29688
    Participant
    Just once I dated a man that was taller than me and I didn't like it. It was so much of a hassle to give him a kiss. I prefer my man to me around the same height as I am.

User Detail :  

Name : Rita29688, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Royston, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin25256
    Participant
    Ify, my boyfriend stands *at least* 5 inches shorter than me. And it's not a problem. Sure, we sometimes get odd looks, but the more people are exposed to 'odd-looking' couples, the better. I agree with Rick that height is not indicative of strength, but what I find more interesting is the underlying issue of appearnance norms. Let's leave behind the Barbie-Ken notion of an 'ideal couple' and look at the beauty of our physical diversity. Many (myself included) believe we're made in God's image. If people laugh, so what? There are some wonderful guys out there of great stature, who happen to be short. I'm lucky to be dating one.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin25256, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, 

Amy31577
    Participant
    Rick, it makes no sense to me, either. I have been happily married for years to a man who is shorter than me, and my female friends always get around to commenting on it. He is loving, kind, patient, a great father, gets along with my extended family, has never been unemployed and has the best sense of humor I've ever known. I find him very attractive.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy31577, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Charleston, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Lab Technician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie22249
    Participant
    Women specify they want a tall man for the same reason men place personal ads specifying a thin or petite woman. I've had plenty of friends, men and women, place ads where they engage in a fantasy about their ideal parter. We dream up the perfect person in our minds, list the specifications, and then exclude everyone who doesn't fit our fantasy. Look through all the sections of the personal ads and you'll see this. I have known plenty of women who dated and married men who aren't considered tall. In two cases, tall women friends met and fell in love with shorter men they met through work. I'm currently dating a tall man but have in the past been attracted to men my own height, 5'6'. I would never do personal ads because I don't think I'd meet the weight requirement :) The problem is that restrictive fantasy personal ads means it's hard to even get the opportunity to meet potentially wonderful people who don't match our fantasy - if this is the only method used to meet people. That's why I'd recommend that women who aren't thin and men who aren't tall, and everyone else who doesn't meet the fantasy restrictions, consider exploring other avenues of social interaction to meet single folks - church, clubs (environmental, political), hobbies (running, biking, skating), volunteerism.....

User Detail :  

Name : Marie22249, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Ames, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Nontrad College Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

tehillah
    Participant
    Why do men like women with big chests? It's the same thing. I know some women who are merried with shorter men. So it's not all females as much as not all males like women with big chests.

User Detail :  

Name : tehillah, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Meg
    Participant
    I think some women have the 'ideal' picture of a man who is their protector.. therefore, tall? I'm not sure. If i had an 'ideal' man, i suppose he'd be around my height; although I have found myself become very attractive to shorter guys lately. It's really not an issue for me. I dont really see the difference in height unless i think about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Meg, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Modesto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Library Page/Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29805
    Participant
    That explains why you would not want to date a short man, but not why you would prefer a really tall man over a man of average height.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29805, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin
    Participant
    I don't see anything wrong with short men. as long as they are attractive both physically and personality-wise, I would have no problem dating someone shorter than me! If you watch Dragonball Z you'll notice that the short guys get all the pretty girls. Just look at Kuririn and 18, or Bulma and Vegeta!

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Rockford, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.