Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
WildflowerMemberI have read that blue eyes are not ‘recessive’ but co-dominant. Logically speaking, if blue eyes were recessive, in light of all the conquering/conquered nations, etc., the blue-eyed trait would have been mixed out a long time ago. No one would have blue eye, and everyone on earth would have dark eyes by now (I cannot say for certain, because, alas, my degree is not in the physical sciences but in English). As to my empirical evidence, one of my best friends is Armenian with curly, almost-black hair and gorgeous, deep-blue eyes. Her entire immediate family has that exact same hair/eye combination. Now then: My friend has a child with her ex-fiance (a black man) with dark brown eyes. Would you care to guess what color the child’s eyes came out? A beautiful clear blue, just a shade or so lighter than her mother’s. I don’t think we can just decide that dark eyes are solely dominant. It seems this opinion is based more on an assumption rather than science. All of you science people out there, please feel free to chime in.
User Detail :
Name : Wildflower, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Long Beach, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Assistant Academic Coordinator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,
WildflowerMemberOften when you speak to a person on a human level, race doesn’t come up in the conversation, but if it does, it’s OK to ask ‘what term do you prefer?’ In Southern California, there are a lot of Hispanic people. Depending on who I ask, people prefer either ‘Latino/a’ or ‘Chicano,’ or a specific connection with a home country such as ‘Mexican-American’ or ‘Cuban-American,’ and some prefer ‘Hispanic.’ To ask is not offensive to most people, but instead shows an effort to relate to and interact with those outside your own race. The best thing about this interaction is that in short order, you find that we have a lot more in common than we think, or that’s been my experience, anyway.
User Detail :
Name : Wildflower, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Long Beach, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Assistant Academic Coordinator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,
WildflowerMemberAnd I thought that I was the only one! It has taken me years of practice to undo this idiotic cultural anomaly. Even now, I have to really make a concerted effort to maintain eye contact…I use strangers as my guinea pigs–of course I add a friendly smile, which is almost always returned! What my family did not know is that they set the stage for YEARS of conflicts with bosses, etc. I am very shy and introverted to begin with and that ‘don’t look at me when I talk to you’ garbage just made it worse. Besides, didn’t anyone (including my caretakers) notice that a person just looks downright SHIFTY when they don’t make eye contact with others? I think that it is an outdated and self-esteem damaging practice among black Americans that should be quashed. I say this because I have suffered as much from the reactions of those who misunderstood me and my upbringing as I have from the suffering I most certainly caused by my misunderstanding of others.
User Detail :
Name : Wildflower, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Long Beach, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Assistant Academic Coordinator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,
WildflowerMemberAshiness on dark skin means that the skin is dry and flaky, so it looks ‘ashy.’ It is in very bad taste to leave the house with an ashy face, or ashy knees and elbows … it just speaks to whether or not you have any personal pride in your appearance. It means you are unkempt – although it’s nothing a little lotion can’t fix!
User Detail :
Name : Wildflower, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Long Beach, State : CA, Country : United States, Occupation : Assistant Academic Coordinator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences