Shelley

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Southern communication and attitudes #15680

    Shelley
    Member

    As a Southerner, I’ve spent my whole life telling people that I do, indeed, wear shoes, that I don’t hate black people, and that I don’t eat grits. I think Southerners are defensive with Yankees to being with because we’ve been told for so long that we’re ignorant and inferior. There are some definite communication differences in the South. No, we don’t like debates unless we know you really well. The way Yankees debate comes across as rude to us. Being polite is one of the most valued Southern traits, which means that we may not say what we think directly to your face– and it can be frustrating even to those of us who understand it. And as to the myth that Southern women are submissive– we are anything but! We just choose to express our power in a different way– namely, we are polite to your face, but we do whatever we want anyway. I consider myself a feminist, but as a Southern woman, I always have my nails polished and my handbag always matches my shoes. I think your main problem with Southerners is that you miss your home, and you think your home is superior. And that comes across to the Southerns you interact with, who are already on their guard because you’re from Up North. By the way, if I met you, I probably wouldn’t appreciate your attitude either.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Shelley, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Lexington, State : KY, Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)