Ray28690

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Gay elementary teachers #14423

    Ray28690
    Member

    I’m gay and am in my 16th year of my career. I’ve taught in both conservative and liberal areas and, with the exception of a couple awkward ‘assumptions’ by homophobes (I’ve had disparaging comments made to me about gays, with the parent not knowing that I am), I’ve not had any issues. I try and be myself–discreet but not closeted. I don’t talk about my private life too much with my students. I have my own children (adopted) with my partner and I do refer to ‘my family’ when talking about the weekend, but that’s it. If my ‘wife’ is referenced, I smile and either change the subject or simply say, ‘my partner’ and let them figure it out if they want. I think my parents appreciate a level of honesty and professionalism and having the chance to either talk with their kids about it or not. I think it would be inappropriate for any teacher to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about their husband/wife/girlfriend, so sexuality really has no bearing. Teaching mutual respect, honesty, critical thinking is what’s best. Besides, if you’re in place for a while, your reputation as a good teacher will supercede any gossip that will inevitably swirl around and if you have a good principal, he/she will stand behind you if a wingnut takes issue with your private life.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Ray28690, City : Seattle, State : WA, Country : United States, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)