Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
PaulMemberThis mispronounciation is not usual among southerners, and Northern Black people (who are only a few generations removed from being southerners.) I don’t know the exactly etymology of ‘axed’ as opposed to asked, but I’m sure that it isn’t some sort of deliberate plot as you have conjectured. One point that I’d like to bring up is that I’ve never heard anyone, not even Kenneth Freaking Brannaugh pronounce ‘asked’ phonetically. Anglo-types typically say ‘askt’ instead of asked … with a clearly pronounced ‘D’. Similarly, most people will say budder and wadder, meaning butter and water. Asked which is phonetically closer to askd is a difficult diphthong to utter in the midst of conversation. A better question, IMHO, is why people pronounce Birmingham as BIR-ming-ham, instead of bir-ming-um as it is correctly pronounced in English. Graham crackers aren’t called Gra-HAM crackers …
User Detail :
Name : Paul, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : I'm utterly f*cked in the head, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : Royal Oak, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : sofware engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences