Katie

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Latino male street harrassment #37286

    Katie
    Member

    Even if your argument about street harassment in Latin cultures being complimentary were true, A.C.C., that wouldn’t excuse the behavior of men who shout comments much more graphic than your ‘eyes of dawn’ gem. I guarantee you, by the way, that not all Latina women feel as you claim they do about these interactions. Being comfortable with my body and my sexuality doesn’t make me welcome attention that comes whether I wear a tank top or a trench coat. Many women of my acquaintance go down the street I referred to in my original posting with eyes straight ahead, bodies tensed in resentment and expectation of walking the gauntlet, once again. Take a tip: women don’t like it. And when your daughters start fending off street harassment at 11, 12, 13 and 14 years old, your advice to ‘be more comfortable with your body’ might not be good enough for them.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : mixed Korean and White, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Washington, State : DC, Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
    in reply to: Stuck-up white woman and urban friendliness #20070

    Katie
    Member

    Make whatever response you feel comfortable making. Anything personal or unduly complimentary makes me feel uncomfortable, so I try to communicate that. If I feel like the person is trying to honestly be friendly, I’ll be friendly right back. Do what feels right. You’ll never be able to communicate ‘cool-white-woman-who’s-not-ditzy-and-is-friendly’ simply by the way you respond to a hello. Stop agonizing and stop trying.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : mixed Korean and White, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Washington, State : DC, Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
    in reply to: Asian Women – Where’s the Love? #28287

    Katie
    Member

    I think the stereotype of Asian men, even though it’s just a stereotype, may well affect the behavior of the people around you. Also, in my experience, the Korean boys I’ve known have been only interested in dating within their race.

    User Detail :  

    Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : mixed Korean and White, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Washington, State : DC, Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)