Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Dan RyanMemberI think suntans as a status symbol for whites is a relatively new development. I think having a suntan represents the idea that you’re rich enough not to have to work, so you can lie by the pool, beach, etc. and work on your tan. Before the early 20th century, I think a suntan just meant you had to work outside a lot, so you must be someone of a lower class.
Now, as to white people’s presumption that black people are somehow inferior: First, that’s ignorant, of course. But, setting that aside, let’s say that the person holding that belief actually does hold it. Fear of the ‘other’ – someone viscerally different from oneself and one’s group – one’s ‘tribe,’ if you will – is probably prompted by the most obvious cues first, so a difference in appearance is just that. The fact that, color-wise, there can be a vast difference in appearance probably provokes more fear than if there were just minor differences. I know I’m coming off all academic, but everyone – if they wish to become themselves, and not just another member of a group – has to get past certain things. They may be ‘wrong’ things, or they may be things that are bad but nobody’s fault. If you dwell on other people’s stupid behavior too long, you’re wasting your time – your life.
You want to know the best thing about being white in the 21st century United States? I don’t ever think about what color I am. I don’t do one damned thing because it might be good for other white people. I do try to do things that might be good for other people, but I never consider the fact that I’m white when I do them. So I’m lucky. In this world, in this time, I may be luckier than you. But you may be luckier than me in lots of ways, too. Just become the best YOU. People being what they are, if everyone were blind, there would still be lots of us who would figure out some stupid way to discriminate against others
User Detail :
Name : Dan Ryan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 49, City : San Antonio, State : TX, Country : United States, Occupation : Administrator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences