rappers-r u 4 reel?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Al
    Participant
    I have long felt that many who perform 'rap' music are deceptive and phoney. The image that they portray is one of a poor street person, who is just 'telling it as it is' and trying to communicate with the rest of us unfeeling and uncaring souls. The multiple layers of clothing - even on an intensely hot stage, the baggy jeans five sizes too large, underwear pulled up to purposely be visible, all are supposed to somehow convince us of poverty. Well, all those baggy and distressed-looking clothes cost hundreds of dollars - just check your local GAP store. Almost none of these rappers have ever lived in or seen a real ghetto; and the vast majority of them are spoiled kids of upper middle class background - I know because I work with some of them in my profession. Why has the rest of the world - black and white - accepted these performers at face value? The roots of rap may have been genuine 100% 'po', but not anymore. Does anyone else feel that this rapper image is contrived, and not at all representative of true ghetto culture and behaviour?

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.