No need to shout!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Patrick30442
    Participant
    I enjoy eating out often with other senior citizens, but somehow the young waitress usually talks "baby talk" to us when describing the specials. We can hear fine, but they shout as well. How come?
    Original Code A27. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick30442, Gender : M, Age : 73, City : N/A, State : NA Country : United States, 

Jennifer N.
    Participant
    I don't know about the baby talk, but I do know about the shouting. I work at a grocery store, and we have many senior customers. I try not to talk any louder than normal, but I think it just happens because until you say something, you have no idea how well they can hear. Most people don't mean any disrespect; we simply want to make sure we are heard.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer N., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 16, City : Aurora, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : student/cashier, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jen-I
    Participant
    I used to speak to my own grandparents in a 'younger' voice. When I was a child and got to talk to Grandma and Grandpa on the phone, I remember I would talk less like myself and more like a younger kid. I don't know why for sure, but maybe it's because our grandparents don't really see us as grown-up, so we tried not to sound like it. Maybe your waitresses talk like that because it triggers in their minds that they're talking to a grandparent, which makes them feel like they should sound younger. Now that my grandparents talk to me like an adult, I talk to them like an adult. My point is, I don't think they speak to you that way to be condescending or disrespectful. They probably don't even realize they're doing it.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen-I, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Eielson, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.