You can’t kick me out … I’m leaving!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

G. Blanch
    Is it true that a person can leave home at the age of 17, but can't be kicked out until they're 18?

User Detail :  

Name : G. Blanch, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Alabaster, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Networking, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper class, 

Clara
    Participant
    It depends on where you live, but I know many kids who left their homes at 16 years old. I even knew a girl who lived with her friend at 15 years old. There are no rules about that, but it IS illegal to kick a child out before they're 18.

User Detail :  

Name : Clara, Gender : F, Age : 16, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

EJ
    Participant
    yes its true

User Detail :  

Name : EJ, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Leslie22886
    Participant
    A person can leave home at just about any time- and provided they have adequate money, food, shelter, appropriate supervision, and their parents blessing- it will usually be ok. If a parent kicks a minor out of the home, it can be considered child abandonment- thus it is an illegal action. The child would likely be placed into foster care. I personally left home at 16. This was a great decision for me, but many 16 year olds aren't ready to survive on their own.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie22886, City : St. Pete Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 

D-K31791
    Participant
    My son, 18, and one of his good friends, 17 1/2, went on a trip to visit our relatives in MA & NH. The friends mother got mad and had my son arrested for aiding an unmarried minor into another state. We went to court 3 times & the 3rd she didn't show & it got dismissed.

User Detail :  

Name : D-K31791, City : Niceville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Kelly
    That would vary by state. You can leave home even earlier than 17, if you can become 'emancipated' - that is, prove to a court that you can support yourself at least as well alone as your family can support you and will not be harmed by living away from your family; I have seen cases where a minor of 15 managed to convince a psychologist, and then, with the psychologist's help, the court ruled she was better off without her family than with them.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Amma
    Participant
    I just want to add that another way a minor can become emancipated before 18 is to get married. I know it varies by state, but in Florida if you are 16 or 17 you can get married with your parents permission. And I know that if it's a girl and she's pregnant then the rules are a bit different. (And I also want to add that I do not recomend getting married at such a young age...believe me!)

User Detail :  

Name : Amma, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.