World awareness of children in US

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SerildaE
    Participant
    My mother is German and when we first moved back to the US in the 80's I was asked by my 5th grade classmates if they had running water and electricity in Germany. Do you think children are more aware of the rest of the world today?

User Detail :  

Name : SerildaE, Gender : Female, Age : 31, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Dot
    Participant
    Possibly not true in other parts of the US, but in my neighborhood in L.A. there are more immigrant children (legal and otherwise) than native born. Their parents teach them about their homelands but complain bitterly when the schools try to teach them English, Civics, US History, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    When I moved to the East Coast from the Mountain West, I lost count of how many curious folks asked whether we still had saloons, gun-totin' cowboys, and yes, electricity and indoor bathrooms. It seems like Geography and Social Studies are the poor bastard step children of 'a good education'.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.