Workplace Diversity Initiatives

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Niccolle L.
    Participant
    Why should employers develop workplace diversity?

User Detail :  

Name : Niccolle L., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 23, City : Bradford, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Human resources officer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jummy
    Participant
    Employers should develop workplace diversity because the world is a diverse place. Not only that, but statistics show that the majority will be the minority by 2005, and the workforce needs to be prepared. People need to start getting comfortable with the fact that what is now considered the norm will change soon, and the people hiring and firing may no longer be Caucasian. Diversity developement also helps stop harsh feelings among co-workers (of different races, sexuality, etc.) if done right.

User Detail :  

Name : Jummy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Jamaica, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Lucy22625
    Participant
    In my opinion, employers should hire people based on qualifications without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, religion and so on. Being at work is about getting the job done. Obviously, everyone has their own prejudices that they bring to every situation, but as another poster pointed out, the demographics of the country are changing, and those companies that will remain competitive will be the ones that higher the most qualified people. My entire industry is very diverse, yet my company doesn't have any diversity policy, and as far as I know, the other companies in the industry don't, either. I wish there were more Hispanic engineers of course, but the lack of Hispanic engineers has nothing to do with racism in hiring practices. Just about every Hispanic engineer I know has a job. The problem is that there aren't many Hispanics seeking engineering degrees. Most of the Hispanics I grew up with didn't even go to college.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22625, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.