Women and driving.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Joshua K.
    Participant
    Where do we get the stereotype that women are bad drivers? Most of the women I know are terrific drivers, and the percentage of those who aren't is no greater or less than that of men drivers.

User Detail :  

Name : Joshua K., Gender : M, City : Waterbury, State : CT Country : United States, 

Cynthia19745
    Participant
    If men were better drivers, how come guys under 25 have the most collisions?

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia19745, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brad
    Participant
    I'm gonna put this to rest once and for all... Bad male drivers are just as bad (if not worse than ) bad female drivers. Just for different reasons. Bad female drivers (not ALL women mind you) are bad drivers because they are CARELESS. In other words, NOT PAYING ATTENTION!! These are the women (often under the age of 25) who think nothing more of driving well over the speed limit (sometimes the law IS right!) talking non-stop on the cellphone in hectic traffic, or cutting off people at turn intersections, despite the rules of Right-Of-Way. I've lost count of how many times I've almost been run off the road (or the SIDEWALK, no joke!) by some young lady in a sportscar (usually RED! coincidence?) only to have her give ME a dirty look, as if me being in the parking lot was such a burden. One even flipped me the bird after she almost creamed me by running a Red Light. (SIDE NOTE: It is documented FACT that women are more likely to flip the bird in traffic. But I digress...) Anyway, bad MALE drivers are that way not because they are CARELESS but rather RECKLESS! These are usually the same morons (ALSO under the age of 25) that think nothing more about doing 'donuts' in the parking lot at Food Lion, just to show off, ignoring traffic signs (BTW: Stop signs are NOT optional), or simply missing their Exits because they were too busy playing with the Equalizers on their new Car Stereo, and then trying to catch the turn by cutting off TWO lanes of traffic! Anyway, to make a LONG rant a short one, women are (incorrectly) regarded as worse drivers because the accidents created by BAD women drivers, due to them being CARELESS, are perceived as bouts of idiocy, whereas the accidents caused by BAD male drivers, due to them being RECKLESS, are linked to 'that guy being a maniac'. Its a matter of improper perception. I hope I cleared that up. If I confused (or bored) anybody, I apologize.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Andy-Wood28861
    Participant
    Persoanlly, this is a stereotype that's always confused me. I had never heard it until perhaps 6 years ago, and I've never seen the slightest reason to think it has any basis in fact.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy-Wood28861, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 19, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student (aspiring electrician), Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    it's a stereo-typical holdover from the old days when it wasn't considered 'lady-like' to do anything better than a man. Plus, it was considered emasculating for a man to 'allow' a lady to drive him around so women simply didn't drive as often as men, hence didn't have the experience to do as well. And women were considered *REALLY* bad with anything mechanical. All these factored into turning a lack of practical experience into a misogynistic stereotype that women just can't drive.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Steven
    Participant
    Most women I know are fantastic drivers. Excellent driving records, excellent driver etiquette. Still I refuse to let them drive while I am in the car. Safety is not the issue, but primarily speed and time. Yes my wife is an excellent driver, but she always drives at or under the speed limit, gets nervous when she doesn't know where she's going, slows to a crawl when looking for streets she's unfamiliar with and so on. If you happen to be behind her, or any women unaccustomed to driving hastily and wrecklessly, its pretty much a default response to believe the person in front of you (that is going 10 MPH in a 30 with their blinker on as they nervously grip the steering wheel in perfect 10 and 2 form) does not know how to drive and there for, is considered a bad driver.

User Detail :  

Name : Steven, Gender : Male, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

CherylM
    Makes no sense. Auto insurance premiums are lower for women nationwide. Must be the "Archie Bunker" syndrome...

User Detail :  

Name : CherylM, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

Fossihundt
    Participant
    Joshua, I'm 54 and female. When I was I kid, back in the Ice Age, there were many jokes about Women Drivers. I thought that idea would have died out in the last twenty years. My father was a Rural Mail Carrier who told me once that I was a good driver. I treasure his opinion. I guess some sterotypes take longer to die than others.

User Detail :  

Name : Fossihundt, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Native American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 54, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Science background, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MikeJ
    Participant
    Actually they cause 65% of the total accidents. That is where the phrase "Women drivers equal no survivors" comes from.

User Detail :  

Name : MikeJ, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Cedar Rapids, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.