Witches Misunderstood

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dawn-E
    Participant
    As a practicing witch, I would like to ask those of the Christian faith or other faiths why they assume we are devil worshipers. What makes them assume this? When someone sees my pentacle, they automatically assume I worship the devil.
    Original Code RE6. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn-E, Gender : F, Religion : Wiccan, City : N/A, State : MI Country : United States, 

Dawn M.
    Participant
    I too, as a practicing witch, have come across masses of the uneducated (my husband included). I believe it is the fault of the early Christian Church. It wanted to convert all Pagans, so it essentially misinformed converts. What I really think is funny is that most, if not all, rituals performed by Christians, especially Catholics, are borrowed from the older Pagan religions. Nowadays, I really find most people still believing in the doctrines that the Church set up in the Dark Ages. Isn't it easier to control the ignorant than the wise?

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 36, City : Bay City, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jahny
    Probably because people don't think you have any morals in your religion. What are the Wiccan morals, code of ethics, rules for leading a spiritually 'whole' life,etc.? You have to prove to others that it's not creating two-headed bats in cauldrons.

User Detail :  

Name : Jahny, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jack
    'The Devil' is any god that is not Yahweh. By this note, you -are- worshiping the devil. Some Christians take this thought process, which really isn't so bad. In that aspect, 'devil' is just a name, it's a title. Some of us, like myself, even choose to use it as such. But if they assume you are literally worshiping some dude with horns who pesters the Christian God, it's usually just a misunderstanding that can be straightened out with some old-fashioned education.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    All Wiccan morals can be summarized in one sentence: 'As it harm none, do as you will.' This is known as the Wiccan Rede. As long as it hurts no one, do what you want. This allows for a lot more freedom than some religions, but also requires a lot more personal responsibility. To properly explain this innocuous-looking motto would require more space than would be prudent on this forum. There are a lot of essays discussing this concept, many of which can be found at http://www.witchvox.com.

User Detail :  

Name : Kat Ingersoll, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 25, City : Burlington, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Underwriter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

C
    Participant
    The main Wiccan moral is the same as the golden rule: 'An it harm none, do what ye will.' A longer version that I've memorized is: Bide the Wiccan Law Ye Must, In perfect love, in perfect trust, Eight words the Wiccan Creed fulfill, An it harm none, do what ye will. Lest in self defense it be, Ever mind the rule of three. Hold this in your mind and heart, and merry ye meet and merry ye part.

User Detail :  

Name : C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 26, City : Hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sam
    I got into the Wiccan practices about 8 months ago. I wanted to mix it with my Christian religion. I found 'loop holes' that allowed me to do so. I say prayers and do spells during any ritual. But anywho, Christians do misunderstand anyone who practices witchcraft, and don't understand that Wicca is not devil worship. However there are Unitarian churches that have an array of religions under one roof. Wiccans of the church get Halloween as a day to head the church services. But I will say that there is a good percentage of Christians, not all, that enjoy forcing Christianity down your throat to discourage any activity whether it be witchcraft, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan Christian, Age : 20, City : Salem, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Exotic Dancer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.