Why’s sex considered dirty by so many Christians?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I'm Jewish and sex is considered a beautiful, healthy part of life? The first commandment God gave Adam & Eve was "be fruitful and multiply". With the exception of rape, adultery & various types of incest, sex is not considered sinful by Jews. How did sex become transformed into something dirty and nasty? Does St. Paul's philosophy enter into this?

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    The Europeans who first came to the US happened to be of a sect that demonized sex. The US to this day suffers from a sex-phobic, Calvinist attitude. Protestants in Europe (Lutherans and Anglicans for example) don't seem to have these freaky attitudes about sex.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard D. Lee
    Participant
    Contrary to the other poster. It is very rare to find a culture that does not find Sex Dirty to some degree. I have travelled to every continent and many many countries. MOst cultures have taboos on sex. This isnt a Christian thing sweety this is a human thing. Why, because men want to posess women. Women need to be selective in mating, so the taboos come into play to protect humans. I am no christian jew, or muslim. But I know people in all those religions, I also know a few Hini, budhist and atheist all of which have seuxal taboos and ideas of nasty sex. So becareful about your prejudice and grabbing someone elses prejudice.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard D. Lee, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    puritanism, plain and simple. The idea that a person by nature was wholly sinful and could achieve good only by severe and unremitting self-discipline. (Which, I suppose, *is* directly related to Pauls flesh v. spririt philosophy) Also in play is the fundamentalist beliefs that sex is for procreation and only acceptable between a husband and wife. Or, more succinctly, sex is fun and anything that's fun MUST be sinful and a moral wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.