Why won’t black b-ball players pass to me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

John29226
    Participant
    I started at guard in high school and got offered a scholarship. Now when I play basketball at a gym and there is mostly black players, I can't get the ball passed to me because I am white. Why is that?

User Detail :  

Name : John29226, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Jacksonville, State : NC Country : United States, 

ksmith
    Participant
    because your short. and your probably playing with non- ballers. and those two are no no's. unless your 6.5 and can jump, it's no good for the white boys..

User Detail :  

Name : ksmith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : owner, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Lynn-H
    Participant
    Just a thought: Maybe they figured that white men can't jump. (of course we know that's not true!)

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn-H, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, 

Lisa22742
    Participant
    It's not often that black people in this country get to be in a position of power, some take it too far though. It will take some time for you to be accepted by these guys, they have to learn to trust you. People that look like you may have hurt them or people they know in the past. It's not fair but that's the way it is. Don't wimp out, keep at it, they will come to respect you for it.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22742, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

GucciChuc
    Participant
    you are not good. Most African Americans feel that Caucasions are not good in b-ball. So you would have to proove yourself first.

User Detail :  

Name : GucciChuc, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, 

Leanne
    because they are jerks. If they feel big because they exclude you, or because have some prejudice against white people that's being a jerk. hopefully it's because your new and they dont know ya got skills, but if not, it's up to you wether or not you want to try to befriend them or play somewhere else. Leanne 100% Bi-racial!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Leanne, Gender : F, Race : I'm a mutt!!, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : pleasant hill, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Amelia
    Participant
    i dont no... y dont u ask them?

User Detail :  

Name : Amelia, City : L.A, State : CA Country : United States, 

Rick
    They don't know you at the gym! If you are on a team and there is a guy you don't know, why risk the game and pass it to that guy. So grab a rebound, don't pass it to anyone and score some points. Dunk the ball a few times, someone will pass it to you. Or maybe you are not as good as you think you are and the game is on the line.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : IT Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tom24095
    Participant
    Because they are racist. Why are you surprised?

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24095, Gender : M, Age : 31, City : hässleholm, State : NA Country : Sweden, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason31238
    Participant
    They wont pass the ball because of the stereotypical white men arent athletic mantra. Living in the 'inner- city' or as I affectionately call it the hood, white guys can only shoot the ball. They cant defend, they let people say anything to them(no respect). The best thing for you is too showcase your skills beforehand and find the worst player on the court and make him look extra silly

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31238, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Retail, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ron-s29622
    Participant
    Wake up John!

User Detail :  

Name : ron-s29622, City : stockton, State : CA Country : United States, 
    perhaps the reason is that you messed up the first time they passed the ball to you, so they just don't run the risk anymore (not saying that you are bad... you had to be good to get a scholarship for it).

User Detail :  

Name : Ian Laughlin, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Palmer, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but alot of Black men come from back grounds which have imbued them with a deep seated hatred of White men. Somtimes it only comes out in overt ways.

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher Schroeder, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : Jackson, State : WY Country : United States, Occupation : Surgical Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sharell
    Participant
    Well, I think the best way to be proactive in this situation is to prove yourself: While every other race and ethnicity in America has been privilaged to get a perk and then earn it, people of color have been left behind to earn everything and then recieve a perk from it. The basketball court is many times the only guarunteed controlled space for a black man and therefore he will only respect you there if you earn it as he had to.

User Detail :  

Name : Sharell, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Summit Argo, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : entertainment jr. executive, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason31256
    Participant
    You have a stereotype that white guys can only shoot the ball or they may think that you are not athletic enough. It has been my experience that white guys are a liability on the court. So you have to try and showcase your skills. And you couldve played bad enough one time and someone may remember you. You have to over achieve to be respected. You must be better than most, not all the players on the court to be accepted sometimes.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31256, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.