Why the chopsticks?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Ed H.
    Participant
    I spent a good part of my Marine Corps career in the Far East. While in Japan, I was intrigued by the ease with which the Japanese used chopsticks. I made it a point to learn how. To answer the question: Who, besides you, cares? Ours is a nation of diversity. Instead of asking an Asian person, 'Why do you use chopsticks?', try asking, 'Will you teach me how?' Don't be guilty of tunnel vision when comparing cultures.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : spinal cord injury, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 58, City : Airway Heights, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Marine, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Ned
    Participant
    It's because they have extreme problems assimilating into Western culture. They tend to associate with only other Asians, and they speak their Asian languages in their homes for two, three and four generations. They feel that the use of chopsticks sets them apart from the rest of society. They do realize that knives, forks and spoons are easier to use, but they will resist white customs for fear of being ostracized in their own communities.

User Detail :  

Name : Ned, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

hardyandtiny
    Participant
    People use chopsticks. What makes you think a fork is easier and more efficient? The food eaten with a chopstick is prepared to be eaten with a chopstick.

User Detail :  

Name : hardyandtiny, City : Seoul, State : NA Country : Korea, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.